The Arc Erie County NY Day Services- Behavior Intervention Specialist in USA ● Williamsville, New York
Day Services- Behavior Intervention Specialist
Buffalo, NY, USA ● Cheektowaga, NY, USA ● Clarence, NY, USA ● Depew, NY, USA ● Hamburg, NY 14075, USA ● Lancaster, NY, USA ● Niagara Falls, NY, USA ● Orchard Park, NY 14127, USA ● Tonawanda, NY 14150, USA ● Williamsville, NY 14221, USA
Friday, July 2, 2021
The Arc Erie County New York has been supporting children and adults with disabilities, and their families in achieving their desired quality of life by creating opportunities through comprehensive services for over 65 years.
Responsible for the assessment, development and monitoring of behavior support plans and services provided to individuals receiving services within the Residential, Day Programs, and/or Community Support Services Programs in conjunction with OPWDD regulations 633.16. The Behavior Specialist is responsible for the oversight of behavioral services provided.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Complete a Functional Behavioral Assessment (utilizing an assessment tool, functional analysis and direct observation, input from staff, and available data) upon referral to behavior support services.
· Attend and participate in ISP and other meetings as necessary for people who exhibit challenging behaviors as well as those who may need periodic behavior supports. Provide information/insights, as needed, throughout the meeting.
· Develop and submit for approval by the department supervisor, behavior support plans and programs with an emphasis on proactive strategies for the management of individuals with challenging behaviors. The plans will incorporate functional analysis of behavior, lifestyle enrichment, environment changes, teaching replacement behaviors, and teaching alternatives.
· Provide regular and routine staff training as indicated in the Behavior Management Policy and Procedures and training materials in order to ensure understanding and support with respect to implementation of behavior plans.
· Solicit information from the individuals’ psychiatrist and department staff, monitor relevant data and documentation to make necessary changes to the behavior plans on an as needed basis.
· Provide information/training and acts as a resource regarding specific diagnosis for individuals - including treatment strategies and general characteristics associated with the diagnosis in order to assist the staff to work effectively with the consumer. Will utilize various training programs and diagnostic/evaluations tools.
· Provide documentation and a rationale, as needed, in order to obtain informed consent for rights limitations and restrictive/intrusive interventions. Assists the treatment team with quarterly psychotropic medication reviews of individuals in all agency programs.
· Acts a standing member of the Human Rights Committee and Behavior Management Review Committee and submits programs to the committee that involve rights limitations, restrictive/intrusive interventions, and incorporate the use of restrictive SCIP interventions and any prescribed use of psychotropic medications to control behaviors.
· In conjunction with the supervisor(s), makes recommendations as appropriate to program staff and/or service coordination, to seek outside services such as counseling, social skills training and/or discharge process from psychiatric unit.
· Provide information and support for people whose behavioral issues require hospitalization. Interface with treating practitioners as needed. Provide insight and professional judgement to agency staff during the person’s admission and/or discharge process from a psychiatric unit.
· Act as a support/liaison to the persons’ day or community placement in order to ensure coordinated services as well as a consistent approach to the individuals’ behavioral needs.
· Attends staff meeting and supervisory meetings as assigned or as needed.
· Provides direct services to individuals.
· Assures confidentiality and sensitivity of information about individuals.
· Completes routine paperwork responsibilities and other duties assigned by the Supervisor.
· Maintain SCIP Instructor certification and required to teach the minimum required number of classes to maintain certification.
· Assess challenging behaviors and write positive support plans that address and modify challenging behaviors as well as PRN protocols, medication monitoring plans, and other plans as necessary.
· Attend training as necessary in order to maintain current OPWDD standards
· Assists other departments as requested.
· All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
Master’s degree in Behavior Analysis, or a field closely related to clinical or community psychology that is approved by OPWDD review PLUS possess National Board Certification in Behavior Analysis (BCBA)
Master’s Degree in a clinical or treatment field in psychology, social work, school psychology, or a related human services field, or a New York State license in Mental Health counseling PLUS have/obtained OPWDD- approved specialized training or experience in assessment techniques and behavior support plan development PLUS has provided behavioral services for an agency in the OPWDD system continuously since December 31st, 2012
Master’s Degree in a clinical treatment field in psychology, social work, school psychology, or a related human services field PLUS function in the Psychologist I or Psychologist II Civil Service titles of NY State
Bachelor’s Degree in a human services field PLUS has provided behavioral services for an agency in the OPWDD system continuously since December 31st, 2012 PLUS actively working towards a Master’s Degree in an applied area of psychology, social work, or special education OR completes at least one graduate-level course in an applied health services area of applied psychology, social work, or special education
A valid NYS driver’s license is required.
The Arc Erie County New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strong advocate of workforce diversity. Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Veteran.
Job Family Arc Erie
Pay Type Hourly
Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
Buffalo, NY, USA
Cheektowaga, NY, USA
Clarence, NY, USA
Depew, NY, USA
Hamburg, NY 14075, USA
Lancaster, NY, USA
Niagara Falls, NY, USA
Orchard Park, NY 14127, USA
Tonawanda, NY 14150, USA
Williamsville, NY 14221, USA