Northwestern Michigan College Maintenance Mechanic in Traverse City, Michigan
Salary: $19.45 - $21.07 Hourly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2022-00036
Closing: 11/15/2023 8:00 AM Eastern
Location: Main Campus - 1701 E Front Street, Traverse City
Division: Finance & Administration
Summary & Qualifications:
To support the maintenance and upkeep of major fixed equipment, (e.g., large air handling units, compressors) auxiliary equipment, special service equipment, fire protection and kitchen equipment, and the structural maintenance and repair of the facilities, furnishings, and fixtures. To inform the Director of Facilities or designee on the immediate condition of all assigned areas and maintain good relations with the general public, faculty, and staff.
• High school diploma or GED • Must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid unrestricted driver's license prior to start date • Working knowledge of the theory, operation, and upkeep of electrical and mechanical equipment • Basic computer literacy • Wear OSHA required personal protective equipment (PPE) • The ability to read and understand wiring diagrams and equipment manuals • The ability to pass a pre-employment physical
• A minimum of one (1) year experience in carpentry work, fasteners/hardware identification and application, painting processes and application, keys and lock inventory, maintenance, and security and/or commercial facilities or other related operations • Licensed certified HVAC electrical certified technician
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
The following will be at the time and expense of Northwestern Michigan College if not already possessed by the employee:
• Within a reasonable period of time obtain certification in Asbestos Operations and Maintenance. • Must possess or within a reasonable period of time obtain OSHA certification and training in:
• Confined Spaces Entry (1910.146) • Forklift Safety (1910.178) • Electrical Safety (1910.303-.306) • Lockout/Tag out (1910.147) • Fire Prevention (1910.38, .155-.165) • Machine Guarding (1910.212) • Eye Protection (1910.132, .133) • Fall Protection (1926.500) • Foot Protection (1910.132, .136) • Hand Protection (1910.132, .138) • Head Protection (1910.132, .135) • Hearing Conservation (1910.95) • Respiratory Protection (1910.132, .134)
Essential Responsibilities Routine Rounds
• Performs daily, weekly, and as required, routine rounds of major fixed equipment to ensure facility structural integrity, safety, and security.
• Performs scheduled monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual, and as required preventative maintenance actions (calibration, filters, lubrication, etc.) on major fixed and auxiliary equipment. • Provides equipment data updates; ensures equipment is properly tagged and operating instructions and safety precautions are posted on all equipment for the maintenance identification system.
Building Mechanical Equipment Repairs
• Troubleshoots, performs emergency repairs, minor repairs and assists with major repairs on fixed equipment (air conditioning, air handling, and boiler units, etc.) and auxiliary equipment (pumps, valves, and motors, etc.). • Troubleshoots, performs emergency repairs, minor repairs, and major repairs on fixed and portable kitchen appliances (kettles, ovens, slicers, etc.) and laundry equipment (washers, dryers, etc). • Troubleshoots, performs emergency repairs, minor repairs, and major repairs on service equipment (hand tools, power tools, and vehicles, etc.), and fire protection equipment (extinguishers, hose stations, sprinklers, etc.).
Building Structural Repairs