University of Utah Post Doc Res Assoc in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/16/2021
Requisition Number PRN26979B
Job Title Post Doc Res Assoc
Working Title Post Doc Res Assoc
Job Grade A00
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 00952 - Division of Epidemiology
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 50,000 to 60,000
Open Until Filled Yes
The Trajectories of Resilience, Community, and Health ( TORCH ) Lab within the Division of Epidemiology (Dept. Internal Medicine) at the University of Utah, and the VA SLC Health Care System, seeks a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Research Health Scientist to work on epidemiological and health services research studies examining long-term outcomes of military experiences. As a member of our machine learning team, you will join world leading researchers in applying machine learning techniques to some of the most important challenges at the interface of AI and health. You will work with other machine learning enthusiasts to build systems to empower our team of clinicians, data scientists, and medical researchers that will generate insights that impact both Veterans and civilian lives.
The position is initially funded for 12 months with a possibility of extending the position based on funding availability.
The successful candidate should have a doctorate in biology, epidemiology, mathematics, or other relevant discipline. Working knowledge of advanced scientific techniques and procedures as well as the ability to make statistical calculations, analyze results, prepare reports, and perform specialized tests is also required. Candidates should have a PhD and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the position. Proficient in research methods for epidemiology, demography, outcomes research or other relevant discipline. Experienced in a team environment.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with a diverse group of motivated researchers.
- Acquire the necessary training to become proficient at PyTorch, GPU acceleration, and other modern machine learning libraries in Python.
- Review and perform code refactoring to make it simpler, and write well-documented code with clean functions and classes.
- Maintain a good knowledge of practical machine learning, including knowledge of test/train best-practices, how to deploy a model in a different dataset, and hyper parameter tuning.
- Collaborate on software development and use some version control (e.g. GitHub desktop), as well as perform math write-up programs (e.g. latex, overleaf).
- Use Abode Suite tools to produce graphics or illustrations for high quality publication figures.
- Participate in research using existing administrative data sets (VA, DoD, commercial health systems, etc.), survey administration, primary data collection, data management, data analysis and scientific reporting aspects of existing/ongoing studies.
- Work with TORCH Lab investigators on various aspects of the proposal/grant submission process such as literature review, project narrative, study design and methodology, etc.
- Initiate and facilitate the process of institutional review board ( IRB ) approvals, research clearance protocols and other administrative approvals required for the funded grant
- Keep meticulous records of all data and information regarding analyses completed.
- Assist with management of at least one existing research project.
- Write manuscripts from existing studies as first or co- author and submit them to scientific peer reviewed journals.
- Attend [and present at] scientific conferences, seminars and workshops that enhance and give exposure to new areas of research or technical expertise.
- Acquire the necessary training, practical experience, and knowledge to become an independent investigator.
- Apply for funding on state, federal, and foundation grants.
- Supervise, train, and review the work of undergraduate research students, graduate students and/or staff.
- Ensure that all research activities are conducted in a legal and ethical manner, following the required guidelines of the University of Utah and VA SLC health care system.
- Clinical or medical data experience is helpful but not necessary, however, it is important that you are open and interested in learning alongside people with very different skillsets and backgrounds (e.g., nurses, database analysts, researchers, etc.).
- Demonstrate research experience by having a track record of first or second authored publications where you have applied your machine learning skillset, or similar (e.g., kaggle competitions).
- 2+ years of experience building ML systems that analyze text, images, or binary data (or all of these).
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or protected veteran’s status. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or activity that it operates, as required by Title IX and 34 CFR part 106. The requirement not to discriminate in education programs or activities extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its regulations may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, or both.
To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability or if you or someone you know has experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, you may contact the Director/Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action:
Director/ Title IX Coordinator
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action ( OEO /AA)
135 Park Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Online reports may be submitted at oeo.utah.edu
For more information: https://www.utah.edu/nondiscrimination/
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org (%email@example.com) or call 801-581-2300.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.