North Memorial Health Care Critical Incident Physician in Robbinsdale, Minnesota
Requisition Number 20-0440
Post Date 3/30/2020
Title Critical Incident Physician
Department Hospitalist Program
Job Group Physicians
Employment Type Casual/On Call
Hours Per Pay Period Varied
Shift Length Variable
Mandatory Call Requirement None
Mandatory Wknd Requirement Weekends As Needed
The Critical Incident physician will provide clinical care for patients at North Memorial Health Hospital (NMHH), and Maple Grove Hospital (MGH) as directed by its Incident Command Structure and acting Medical Directors at a time of surge or anticipated surge capacity.
Ensure that quality care and appropriate treatment are delivered to critically ill customers. In collaboration and consultation with other physicians, advanced practice providers, staff RN’s and other health care professionals, provide holistic, compassionate care to inpatients, and their families. Serves as a consultant to the medical and nursing staff which may include medical management questions or concerns and reviews cases as necessary.
Tier 1: Critical Care
• The role of Critical Incident providers serving in Critical Care (Tier 1) roles include managing critically ill patients most commonly in NMHH’s and MGH’s Intensive Care Units (ICUs), or designated Critical Care surge areas.
• May oversee multiple provider care teams of Critical Care-Bedside (Tier 2) providers or serve as the Critical Care Triage Provider (CCTP). Coordinate patient loads within their teams, and off-load patients from Critical Care-Bedside (Tier 2) as needed
• Manage acute emergencies and ventilator-patient interactions as needed for their assigned teams
• Identify patients ready for care de-escalation (i.e. transfer to medical floor) and communicate frequently with CCTP regarding patient load and issues
• Oversee and assist with new patient admissions in concert with Critical Care-Bedside (Tier 2) providers.
• Monitor and maintain pulmonary support for patients, including use and collaboration of ventilators and life support systems. Consult on non-ICU floors on inpatients who require critical care
• Specialties included but not limited to: Pulmonary, Pulmonary-Critical Care, Critical Care, Trauma Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, and internal medicine boarded physicians who have completed a critical care fellowship
Tier 2: Critical Care - Bedside
• Provide bedside care for 7-10 critically ill patients, most commonly in NMHH’s and MGH’s ICU’s, or designated Critical Care surge areas. Provide care in collaboration and at the direction of Critical Care (Tier 1) providers.
• Act as first responder to changes in patients’ care conditions, and cares for most non-critical care medical issues. Cares for critical care issues after consulting with Critical Care (Tier 1) provider
• Leverage individual skill set to assist the overall care team
• Specialties included but not limited to: Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Pain Medicine, Hospital Medicine, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine
Tire 3: Hospital & Emergency Department Surge
• Provide general hospital or emergency department coverage. May work at the direction of Hospitalist or Emergency Medicine acting shift leads.
• Diagnose and perform evaluation and management services to patients on the hospitalist services or in the emergency department. Complete admissions and discharges as appropriate.
• Document care and communicate with other members of the care team.
• Specialties included but not limited to: Hospitalists, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care, and any other credentialed and privileged physician at the hospitals (NMHH/MGH) or employed by Blaze Health
Requirements Basic Qualifications:
• Graduate of an accredited medical school, osteopathic school program in area of specialty required.
• Experience in inpatient or emergency department setting required
• Experience with EPIC EMR required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities/Competencies
• Ability to balance work priorities in a rapidly changing environment
• Works well independently in addition to being skill in interdisciplinary collaboration and able to take work direction.
• Demonstrates effective written and oral communication.
• Understanding of hospital-wide and department-specific policies and protocols.
• Board eligible or certified by an ABMS-approved specialty
• Current state of Minnesota Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathy license
• Valid DEA registration
License Requirement License/Certification Accountabilities
• MD or DO, and completion of advanced graduate medical education in area of specialty.
• Board Certified or Board eligible in area specialty
• Valid license to practice medicine in Minnesota
• Valid DEA certification
Additional Requirements In response to the escalating need for additional coverage due to COVID-19, North Memorial Health Hospital is looking for a variety of specialists to provide in-patient care in a hospital setting. We have multiple opportunities with a variety of shift options. Please apply directly through our system or contact us today for further information:
Joanie Natalizio at Joanie.email@example.com or Mark Peterson at Mark.firstname.lastname@example.org