MAXAR R&D Co-Op in richmond, British Columbia
Please review the job details below.
MDA’s Research and Development group is looking for smart, motivated, and inquisitive students to support diverse research projects and develop software for the processing, exploitation, and visualization of remotely sensed images and derived products. Application areas include maritime surveillance, geospatial intelligence, natural resource monitoring, and natural hazards and disaster monitoring and response. We are seeking for a motivated junior research analyst with a strong background in mathematics, physics, engineering or computer science to join the MDA Research and Development (R&D) team in May 2020 for 4 or 8 months. The work involves algorithm development, coding, image analysis, data analytics and machine learning.
• Support analysis of complex research problems in the fields of remote sensing;
• Support creation of a deep learning test-bed environment for algorithm development, training and testing;
• Support collation and preparation of radar, optical and ground truth data sets for deep learning;
• Development of computationally intensive algorithms to advance existing software solutions in the R&D department, including for the processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) and optical image data;
• Software prototyping and software test case construction, execution, and testing;
• Support the preparation of technical documents and presentations.
Experience and Skills Required
• Operating Systems: Linux, Windows
• Languages: Python, MATLAB, C, C+• Methodologies: Object Oriented Design
• Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Machine Learning: Libraries and frameworks (e.g. scikit-learn, TensorFlow), Models (SVM, neural nets, etc.), Deep Learning, GPU utilization
• Highly motivated – contributes to problem solving within the team
• Able to understand and work with complex research tasks
• Participates in and contributes to team environment
• Strong verbal and written technical communication skills
• Problem decomposition and algorithm development
• Physics: Optics, remote sensing, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
• Mathematics: Probability and statistics, linear algebra, vector geometry, linear and non-linear optimization techniques
• Signal Processing: Image processing, statistical signal processing, signal theory, filtering
• Other technical skills: Geospatial Analysis, Git/Subversion, Test Driven Development, Software Design, Databases, AWS, and OpenCV
Note that not all skills are necessary and we will strive to assign tasks based on skill set and desired work.
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability level.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.
We are a vertically integrated, new space economy story, including segments across the value continuum for every moment leading up to and following launch. We lead in satellite communications (building and operating), ground infrastructure, Earth observation, advanced analytics, insights from machine learning, next-generation propulsion, space robotics, on-orbit servicing, on-orbit assembly, and protection of space assets through cybersecurity and monitoring of space systems. By integrating our leading-edge capabilities, we provide innovative, cost-effective solutions, value for customers, and thus unlock the multiplier effect of our combined businesses.
Maxar Technologies offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off.