Microsoft Corporation Principal Software Engineering Lead in Redmond, Washington
Millions of users. Billions of dollars. Thousands of cutting edge constantly evolving services. Planet-wide reach. If you are excited by working on software at the scale of one of the largest online marketplaces in the world, then this is your dream job. The Commerce + Ecosystems team is developing some of Microsoft’s largest scale and business critical cloud services.
We are the Azure Rating and Pricing team. Our team enables Azure customers to use Azure Services, enable them to pay only for what they use and understand their infrastructure costs. We operate an infrastructure that handles 100s of billions of usage events per month. Our infrastructure is high scale, financially compliant, performant big data environment that produces multiple refreshes per day of charges for our customers based on their current usage of Azure Services. Since we occupy one of the uniquely central function for Azure Services, we have some unique responsibilities both internally to other Azure Services and externally for the end customers. We enable our internal partners in Azure services to find issues early with anomaly detection and daily updates to the financial reporting. We work to provide transparency to charges, ways to debug and triage customer issues quickly and efficiently. With this scale and reach you’ll find the opportunity to make an impact on Microsoft’s bottom-line directly as we process a significant portion of Microsoft’s revenue.
We are looking to delight and empower our customers to manage their cloud costs more efficiently by reducing the latency by order of magnitude from deployment to charge updates without compromising scale. We are looking to automate triage of customer reported issues and enable streaming data science algorithms to flag and detect issues. We need to be able to support complex and rapidly evolving pricing models to power business growth. To build and enable all of this, we’re expanding and looking for great managers who can lead a dynamic team of motivated engineers! If you have a history of designing, owning and shipping software, then we want to talk to you.
We strongly encourage remote candidates to apply.
• Attract, retain and motivate top talent into a strong team of developers.
• Mentor and grow team members into inspired engineers and future leaders.
• Lead cultural initiatives, foster an inclusive environment and have positive impact on team morale.
• Embody Microsoft’s culture and passion for growth mindset.
• Have fun and make sure the team has fun!
• Drive long-term architecture and detailed design for a highly reliable & scalable distributed, low latency pricing and rating system.
• Drive long-term design thinking for systems and engineering processes with simplicity and maintainability as guiding principles. Evaluate and recommend new technologies that take the business to the next level.
• Work through ambiguity to create clarity for the team.
• Deliver value through a strong collaborative approach spanning many teams across geographies
• Own and drive large critical feature areas including establishing functionality, stages and costing, work with multiple stake holders across the company and land design and architecture.
• Establish and drive adoption of good coding standards and patterns.
• 10+ years demonstrated experience in designing and developing enterprise-level internet scale services/solutions.
• 3+ years of technical management experience.
• Master or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (preferably Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent)
• 3+ years experience with modern distributed technologies.
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write concise and accurate technical documentation, communicate technical ideas to non-technical audiences.
• Experience collaborating across teams to deliver complete and cohesive features and end-to-end experiences, on time.
• Experience implementing and driving complex solutions through a team of engineers
• Demonstrated ability to impact/influence engineering and project teams
• Proven track record of shipping highly scalable and reliable services/systems
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role.
These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest) .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Microsoft Corporation Jobs