New York Blood Center Second Shift Part Time Lead Laboratory Technologist in Providence, Rhode Island
In 1979, the Rhode Island Blood Center was established by the hospitals in Rhode Island as a private, not for profit agency to collect, test, and distribute blood products. Today, the Rhode Blood Center is a division of New York Blood Center and is among the nation's premium providers of blood products and services and an integral part of the Rhode Island community's health care system. As of December 2018, the Rhode Island Blood Center employs approximately 320 full- and part-time employees. Our employees are committed to the Blood Center's mission of providing a safe and adequate blood for patients within our community. We seek individuals who are caring and compassionate, who take pride in their work, and are looking for a rewarding experience. At the Rhode Island Blood Center, you not only have a job but also the opportunity to make a difference.
This position is responsible for the execution of testing and quality control procedures following SOP’s as assigned. Testing includes routine donor testing in large batches as well as component qualifications. This position is responsible for proper disposition of components based on test or QC results. This position also works with the Supervisor of Client testing to ensure appropriate test menus are completed and reported.
This position reports to the Laboratory Supervisors, Testing and QC and others as designated by the above.
• High complexity testing of donor blood samples with proper technique and documentation according to the procedures of the Rhode Island Blood Center including computer and physical quarantine. Carrying out all procedures in a reasonable time frame as determined by supervisory personnel.
• Labeling of blood components including proper checking and documentation according to the procedures of the Rhode Island Blood Center Laboratory.
• Performing and documenting quality control procedures on a regular schedule. Recognizing equipment malfunctions and evaluating need for adjustment for repairs. Notifying Quality Control Assistant Supervisor in writing of any equipment malfunctions or unacceptable quality control results, as established for reach quality control procedure.
• Generating client reports for donor testing.
• Preparing samples for outside testing.
• Assist Supervisors in staff training and competency assessment.
• Review and release test results.
Education and Experience Requirements: 6 years BB, MT/MLS, or SBB (ASCP) certification. Must meet requirements for Testing Personnel for a Highly Complex Laboratory as described in the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988 and Supervisor as described in NYSDOH Clinical Laboratory Requirements.
This position is part time, second shift, 16 hours per week with every other weekend and holiday rotation required.
Work Location Type: Physical
External Company URL: www.nybloodcenter.org
Street: 405 Promenade Street