FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY Internal Revenue Agent (Examiner) Direct Hire (12 Month Register) Providence in Providence, Rhode Island
Duties\ WHAT ARE THE APPEALS (AP), LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL (LBandI), SMALL BUSINESS SELF-EMPLOYED (SB/SE) AND TAX EXEMPT AND GOVERNMENT ENTITIES (TE/GE) DIVISIONS?\ \ A description of the business units can be found at:https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions\ \ The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Serves as a technical expert in examinations of significant tax compliance issues and provides expert advice that may impact tax compliance strategy and the examination program as a whole.
- Serves as a technical expert in the performance of tax computations in cases with significant tax compliance issues and provides expert advice that may impact tax compliance strategy and the Appeals program as a whole. Cases typically concern large, complex businesses, including those with extensive subsidiaries, diversified activities, multiple partners and national and international scope of operations.
- Serves as an issue expert in the examination of LBandI returns. Exercises significant authority and responsibility in planning, directing, and coordinating the examination of certain significant complex issues.
- As a technical expert on SB/SE and LBandI program guidelines and policies, interprets, develops, adapts, and coordinates analytical reviews of new policies, procedures, and program requirements of the Service and their impact on the Compliance operations and resources. Advises and negotiates acceptance of conflicting issues with management in the formulation of Compliance policies. Applies and disseminates newly developed or revised policies and procedures for use in field operations.
- Serves as a technical expert on significant issues relative to the Exempt Organizations specialty. Provides technical guidance on examination and determination of exempt status activity relative to exempt organizations including private foundations, cooperatives, and relevant business entities. The incumbent provides expert advice that potentially impacts the organization\'s overall tax compliance strategy and the Exempt Organization Examination and Rulings and Agreement programs.
- Serves as a lead for other revenue agents and specialists assigned to an examination and counsel attorneys. Leads the team in conferences with appeals, including issue resolution meetings such as fast track. May be assigned to multiple examinations simultaneously.
- Leads national analysis of tax computational issues involving significant tax transactions related to specific taxpayers or across taxpayer, industry and international boundaries. May plan, implement, control, modify and execute all or parts of a national Project or assignment associated with certain tax computational areas of specialization.