Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Driver License Examiner with CDL in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Drive your career forward! The Department of Transportation is seeking a Driver License Examiner to conduct standardized knowledge and skills examinations to evaluate the skill and competence of non-commercial and Commercial Driver License (CDL) applicants. Being bilingual in Spanish would be a great benefit.\ \ The hiring office for this posting has a continuing need for Spanish speaking applicants. Individuals fluent in both English and Spanish are encouraged to apply. Individuals hired for these positions provide information and assistance to Spanish-speaking customers.\ \
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Conducts standardized On Road examinations to evaluate the skill and competence of Non-Commercial Driver License and Commercial Driver License applicants safely and courteously.\ \ Determine the physical conditions and driving qualifications of an applicant and the mechanical condition of vehicles in conformance with established guidelines and standards.\ \ Perform pre-trip inspections of vehicles before administering the driving tests and checks motor vehicles for inspection stickers, lights, windshield wipers and other mechanical features to ensure safety and for knowledge of the controls by the applicant.\ \ Examines applications, registrations and permits for possible irregularities and fraud.\ \ Administer the CDL and Non-CDL knowledge examination that tests applicants for knowledge and understanding of the motor vehicle code and traffic signs. Evaluate the applicant\'s ability in practical demonstration of motor vehicle operation and observance of the rules of the road.\ \ Upon request of the Driver License Division Management Team, audits Third Party Examiners for contract compliance by either having the Third Party Examiner administer a CDL skills test to the Department Examiner in a representative vehicle or scoring along with the Third Party Examiner while administering a CDL skills test to an applicant.\ \ Administer telebinocular, color perception, and other tests of vision.\ \ Strictly adheres to all aspects of the Driver and Vehicle Services Customer Service Policy.\ \ Work Schedule and Additional Information:
- Full-time employment.
- Work hours are 8:15 am to 4:45 pm, Tuesday - Saturday, with 30-minute lunch.
- Overtime and travel required.
- Salary:* *In some cases, the starting salary may be non-negotiable.
You will receive further communication regarding this position via email. Check your email, including spam/junk folders, for these notices.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
QUALIFICATIONS\ Minimum Experience and Training Requirements:
- One year of experience as a Driver License Examiner Assistant (commonwealth title); or
- Two years of experience obtaining, evaluating, and providing information to the public.
*Necessary Special Requirements: *
- All positions require an active Pennsylvania non-commercial Class C Driver's License\ or equivalent and twenty-one years of age at the time of application.
- All positions require no suspensions or revocations of a driver's license during the\ five year period immediately preceding employment.
- All employees in this job hired after February 28, 2022, are required to obtain an\ active unrestricted Class M driver's license within the first six months of employment\ or before the end of the probationary period and maintain it during employment.
- Possession of an active Class A Pennsylvania Commercial Driver\'s License or equivalent with the following endorsements: P and N. The Commercial Driver License cannot have any of the following restrictions: E, L, N, O, or Z.
- You must meet the PA residency requirement. For more information on ways to meet PA residency requirements, follow the link and click on Residency.
You must be able to perform essential job functions.
Legal Requirements: **
This position requires the selected candidate to undergo and pass a Fingerprint and Name-Based Criminal History Check prior to employment.
How to Apply:
- Resumes, cover letters, and similar documents will not be reviewed, and the information contained therein will not be considered for the purposes of determining your eligibility for the position. Information to support your eligibility for the position must be provided on the application (i.e., relevant, detailed experience/education).
- If you are claiming education in your answers to the supplemental application questions, you must attach a copy of your college transcripts for your claim to be accepted toward meeting the minimum requirements. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Your application must be submitted by the posting closing date*. *Late applications and other required materials will not be accepted.
- Failure to comply with the above application requirements may eliminate you from consideration for this position.
- Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, go to www.employment.pa.gov/Additional%20Info/Pages/default.aspx and click the Veterans' Preference tab or contact us at email@example.com.
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS):
- 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals).
If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodations due to a disability, please discuss your request for accommodations with the interviewer in advance of your interview date.\ \ The Commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The Commonwealth values inclusion as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The Commonwealth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status, disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Completing the application, including all supplemental questions, serves as your exam for this position. No additional exam is required at a test center (also referred to as a written exam).
- Your score is based on the detailed information you provide on your application and in response to the supplemental questions.
- Your score is valid for this specific posting only.
- You must provide complete and accurate information or:
- your score may be lower than deserved.
- you may be disqualified.
- You may only apply/test once for this posting.
- Your results will be provided via email.