Wichita State University NIAR Research Engineer - Full Scale Structural Test in Park City, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12362794
Position Title NIAR Research Engineer - Full Scale Structural Test
Position Number NEW
Position Status Full-Time
Regular Work Hours: Typically Monday-Friday 8am-5pm; additional nights and weekends may be required; work is completed onsite and in-person in the NIAR facility in Park City, KS.
Location Wichita, KS - Other Wichita Location
Position Specific Responsibilities: The National Institute for Aviation Research (NIAR) is a fast-growing area within WSU, known globally for our expertise in the most critical areas of aerospace research and development. We are seeking a self-motivated engineer who will be conducting full scale testing in a research environment. This position involves a variety of activities from design, analysis and hands on work setting up and checking test set ups. Responsibilities include reviewing customer testing requirements and designing test fixtures utilizing CATIA to support test requirements; directing lab activities with fabrication and assembly of test fixtures and setup; creating test plans and test reports; conducting full scale testing on customer test article; and coordinating with management on all test activities, objects and schedule statuses.
Summary of Responsibilities: Independently interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates research assignments in a field or specialization of an engineering discipline. Formulates and conducts research on problems of considerable scope and complexity. Explores subject area and defines scope and selection of problems for investigation through conceptually related studies or series of projects of lesser scope.
- Interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates engineering research assignments concerned with unique or controversial problems. Applies diversified knowledge of engineering research principles, practices, and protocols in research projects; makes recommendations and conclusions which serve as the basis for decision making in a specialty area. Formulates and conducts systematic problem analysis and resolution in an area of considerable scope and complexity through series of complete and conceptually related studies, or through a variety of projects of lesser scope. Receives administrative supervision, with assignments given in terms of broad general objectives and limits.
- Develops model concepts and approaches as an individual researcher and acts independently on technical matters.
- Collaborates with users and principal investigators on design, analysis, application, and reporting of research projects; provides technical leadership and technique consultation.
- Prepares analyses, reports, and assists with the preparation of, materials for grant proposals to obtain funding in support of research activities.
- Serves as investigator on single or multiple projects of complexity and scope consistent with above criteria, and/or manages a research unit. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
- Minimum EducationBachelors degree in engineering or related field by hire date
- Preferred Education
- Minimum Experience:Two (2) years of related experience
- Preferred Experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, understand and develop engineering drawings
- Ability to perform design capabilities and provide oversight for structural and test fixtures
- Excellent time management and ability to meet deadlines and objectives
- Demonstrated capability with verbal and written communication, with the ability to write test reports accurately and efficiently
- Apt tude to learn and take initiative
- Willingness to work hands on to create and verify test setups
- Proficiency in operating Microsoft Office Suite
Licenses, Certificates and Registrations
Sponsorship No, due to export control requirements, the University cannot sponsor applicants for employment authorization for this position.
User Export Compliance: This position requires access to EAR or ITAR controlled technologies. Applicants are required to be eligible for employment under U.S. export control laws and must meet the requirement of being a U.S. Citizen.
Department Information: Department - 102169-NIAR - Full Scale Structural Test
Salary Information: Pay Information - Commensurate with experience
Overtime Eligibility Yes
Eligible for Shift Differential?\<