MIAMI COUNTY Deputy Jailer - Sheriff's Office in Paola, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12363929
The Deputy Jailer is responsible for the care of inmates housed in the county jail. Ensure that inmates are maintained in a humane manner and granted constitutional rights. Records all activity associated with inmates. Provide emergency first-aid and CPR. Works under general supervision.
- Maintain safety and security of facilities, inmates and the public, remain on-call for emergency situations, matron duties or courtroom security.
- Adopt and enforce booking, detention and transfer procedures including: disseminating information, commissary practices and records, tracking inmate information and requests, visitations and meals.
- Work as a receiving, booking, classification, and escort jail deputy.
- Prepare reports and data entry of inmate activity, visitors, showers, exercise, medications and incidents.
- Other related duties including document visitations, maintain commissary, order and dispense medications. Notify courts of arraignments and perform court escort.
- Prepare and distribute meals and condiments.
- Data entry of inmate booking information, take pictures and fingerprints, complete inmate questionnaire, explain jail rules, issue bedding, clothes and hygiene kit.
- Calculate statistics on booked inmates, balance, deposit, audit and track commissary funds and medical co-pay accounts, disseminate cash/surety bond information.
- Other related duties including public assistance both by telephone and at county and maintain jail supplies.
- Maintain constant security within the walls of the booking room and jail and travel to court hearings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Knowledge, Skills and Abilities-
- Must be 18 years of age with no felony criminal record or domestic violence record.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Valid drivers license required.
- Computer software programs and applications such as MS Office, RMS, CAD, Watchguard, Open Fox
- County and/or city government administration
- Federal and state statutes
- First aid principles and application
- Ability to interact in a positive and professional manner to develop and maintain strong working relationships with co-workers, management and general public.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate goals, interests, and positions during discussions.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to prioritize
- Manage multiple concurrent projects while meeting deadlines
- Defensive tactics, OC spray, Taser, Crisis Intervention Training (CIT), handcuffing.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business documents and/or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, victims, suspects, and/or the general public
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Must be able to analyze many variables and choose the most effective course of action for the organization at any given point in time
- Ability to operate computer programs/software/platforms, to include Microsoft Office and those that apply to the department
- Ability to use basic office equipment
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality while handling personal information
- Ability o manage conflict and communicate effectively under stress
- Ability to pass all training courses
- Ability to write reports per department regulations.
- Physical characteristics/requirements of the job:
- Sit/Stand/Walk Constantly
- Kneeling Occasionally
- Crouching Occasionally
- Using Fingers/hands Constantly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms
- Talking - Constantly
- Hearing Constantly
- Seeing Constantly
- Vision Abilities close and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Lifting/Moving Occasionally; maximum weight of 100 pounds