AbbVie Calibration Metrology Technician in North Chicago, Illinois
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter (https://twitter.com/abbvie) , Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AbbVieGlobal) , Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/abbvie/?hl=en) , YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/AbbVie) and LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/abbvie) .
Responsible for the calibration and repair of precision Measuring and Test Equipment (M&TE), Test Measurement & Diagnostic Equipment (TMDE), and instrumentation in a Standards Laboratory and/or on-site field environment. Applies engineering or technical experience to ensure that instruments are properly functioning and verifies performance against established specifications (accuracy, precision, etc.) Performs verification, adjustments, troubleshooting and repair of instruments and interfaces frequently with Metrology Engineers and equipment owners regarding calibration requirements, specifications, tolerances, etc. Applies metrology techniques and theory to laboratory practices (linearity, hysteresis, bias, etc.) and uses basic math/algebra, scientific notation, and unit conversions between metric & Imperial/British units of measure. Exercises independent judgment in tasks such as problem solving, troubleshooting, analyzing circuits, and schematic & wiring diagrams.
• Requires demonstrated work experience in calibration and metrology principles as applied to multiple measurement disciplines including: Pressure Vacuum: Analog, digital pressure/vacuum gauges, 4 mA to 20 mA transmitters, bourdon tubes, Pirani gauges, manometers, barometers, capacitance diaphragm gauges / CDG’s, Dead Weight Pressure Standards (Piston Gauges), Pressure Controllers, pressure regulators, vacuum pumps/chambers, etc.
• Temperature Humidity: Thermometers (Liquid in Glass, Platinum Resistance Thermometers / PRT’s, Standard PRT’s, Industrial PRT’s, thermistors, thermocouples, Infra-Red / IR, etc.), super-thermometers or resistance bridges using ITS-90 Coefficients, dataloggers, transmitters, temperature fixed point cells (e.g. water triple point, etc.), fluid baths, dry block calibrators, temperature humidity chambers, chilled-mirror humidity standards, dew point, etc.
• Electrical Calibration: Digital multimeters (DMM’s), process calibrators, multifunction/multiproduct calibrators, conductivity meters, frequency standards, resistance decade boxes, standard resistors, current clamps, power supplies, current shunts, signal generators, oscilloscopes, tachometers, etc.
• Flow: Flowmeters, rotameters, anemometers, flow standards; laminar flow elements (e.g., MolBox ; MolBlocs), thermal mass flow, sonic nozzles, wind tunnels, centrifugal air samplers, etc.
• Dimensional: Gauge blocks, micrometers, calipers, pin gauges, go/no-go gauges, vision machines (OGP, etc.), Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM’s), supermics, laser ruler / interferometer, surface plates, torque wrenches, load cells, height gauges, drop gauges, etc.
• Knowledge or experience is desirable with any of the following software applications: IBM Maxmio, Fluke Met/Cal, Fluke COMPASS, Mettler Calibry, Mettler MC-Link, etc.
•Knowledge of any of the following is desirable: Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratories (PMEL), industry standards such as ISO 17025, ANSI Z540.1 ; Z540.3, ISO 9001, NCSL Recommended Practices, measurement uncertainty (ISO GUM), concepts such as Test Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) and Test Accuracy Ratio (TAR), Repeatability; Reproducibility, Gauge R&R, Measurement System Analysis (MSA), statistics, quality control charts, Out of Tolerance (OOT) investigation and OOT impact analysis.
•Manages workload efficiently in a fast-paced, team environment, with high attention to detail, while practicing Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) in an FDA regulated environment
• High School diploma or GED required. Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a Senior Instrument Technician or the equivalent. Associates Degree in electronics technology or equivalent is strongly desired. College course work and/or ASQ Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) certificate a plus.
• Experience with analytical instruments is a plus, e.g., Analytical Balances, High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography (GC), Mass Spectrometry (MS), Ultra-Violet Visible Spectroscopy (UV-Vis), etc.
• Must manage activities to meet restrictive timelines. Must have skills in working with people, with good written and verbal communication skills.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- AbbVie Jobs