Amazon Corporate LLC Software Development Engineer, AWS QuickSight in New York, New York
Do you like building software from ground up? Do you want to revolutionize the way people manage, visualize and interact with large amounts of data?
We're seeking a talented engineer with expertise and passion in solving hard engineering problems in distributed systems, high performance storage systems, data visualization, query generators, and database internals - experience with parallel query processing, distributed caching, business intelligence, or transaction processing are all big pluses. If this is you, Amazon QuickSight is a unique place where you can design and build innovative technologies in a very large distributed computing and help lead fundamental changes in the industry.
In Amazon Web Services (AWS), our mission is to provide customers with best in class data services in the cloud to store, query and analyze the enormous data sets that their businesses generate. We build distributed storage, index and query systems that are scalable, fault-tolerant, low cost, and easy to manage and use. These are exciting times in our space - we are growing fast, but still at an early stage and working on ambitious new initiatives where an engineer at any level can have significant technical and business impact. Our team pioneered Amazon RDS, Amazon DynamoDB, and Amazon Redshift. Each service changed the course of database history by bringing new and innovative features to our customers. You can read about how DynamoDB is the fastest growing service in AWS history at http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2012/06/amazon-dynamodb-growth.html. And how Redshift is changing the course DW history here http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2012/11/amazon-redshift.html
* Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture/design/working software solutions
* Code and test system components; participate in code and design reviews
* Demonstrate ownership of end-to-end code quality, system tests, functional tests, and integration
* Partner/Collaborate across teams/roles to deliver results.
* Be responsible for overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance
* Mentor other engineers, define the technical culture, and help grow the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
* 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
* Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
* 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
* 3+ years' experience writing large scale systems in a combination of C/C++ or Java and be familiar with software development under UNIX/Linux.
* Candidates must have a strong computer science background. A Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
* Solid communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical.
* Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.