Safran Acoustics Engineer in New Brighton, Minnesota
New Brighton , Minnesota , United States
More than 3 years
Under the direction of the Director of Engineering the Acoustics Engineer is responsible for providing engineering expertise in the field of acoustics, managing and executing all stages of a project from conceptual design through field testing and validation. The Acoustics Engineer will contribute to team efforts in both engineering projects and sales campaigns by applying knowledge of environmental noise, building acoustics and vibrations for the development of test facility acoustic solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Development and management of test facility acoustic solutions with facility and equipment planning, conceptual layout and specification, detailed analysis and conducting site acoustic surveys.
• Responsible for entire site acoustic characterization and analysis, including test cell engine emissions, self-generated wind noise characterization, equipment noise and site background noise.
• Plan and manage the acoustic workload with development of work scope, estimated costs and schedules and regular reporting relative to design and measurement activities.
• Provide technical support to suppliers for specification of the products and/or acoustic studies and for the detailed design, fabrication and installation of the acoustic solution.
• Interface with the Facilities and Mechanical Engineering teams relative to mechanical design and constraints.
• Planning and performing on-site full-scale acoustic test.
• Acoustic R&T planning, activities and associated university liaison.
• Periodic review of project drawings & specifications throughout design for incorporation of acoustic design elements.
• Build acoustic simulations to characterize and validate acoustic solution.
• Support sales proposals with supplier specifications, analysis / performance predictions and technical presentations.
• Organize and maintain engine noise database and project files.
• Select, maintain and improve acoustic analysis and measurement tools.
• Technical support and solutions for post install acoustic performance issues and claims.
• Actively participate in a continuous improvement culture providing recommendations and implementing enhancements to current methods and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position prohibits the unauthorized export of restricted technology to "Foreign Persons". Safran Test Cells must ascertain employee's "U.S. Person" or "Foreign Person" Status for export control purposes.
• MS in Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering or related field required.
• Minimum of 3 years of closely related work experience required.
• Highly organized, self-starting, team oriented.
• Knowledgeable in environmental noise, building acoustics, and vibrations.
• Ability to identify and assess domestic and international building and community acoustic regulations and code requirements.
• Demonstrated analytical proficiency utilizing tools such as:
Acoustic hand calculations (acoustical theory, correlations and performance of equipment)
FE methods for mechanics and acoustics such as ANSYS, ACTRAN, MSC, LMS software packages
Matlab analytical modeling
Environmental noise prediction software such as B&K Predictor, Immi/Cadnaa, etc.
• Proven ability to lead projects from planning phase through completion while interacting with clients and Project team members in a cordial and professional manner.
• Advanced knowledge of acoustic, fire, thermal, and/or physical property characterization of materials and capacity to interpret test data.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with a proven ability to be assertive yet approachable delivering a positive customer service experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge of risk assessments including FMEA and FMECA.
• Able and willing to travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap. Safran ranks first in Forbes's 2020 list of the World's Best Employers for its sector. Safran Aero Boosters designs, develops and manufactures low-pressure compressors, equipment and test cells for aerospace propulsion. The company's products are on board the majority of commercial aircraft in service as well as Europe's Ariane launch vehicle. Based in Liège (Belgium), Safran Aero Boosters has two subsidiaries in the United States and employs 1,800 people.
- Safran Jobs