Nantucket Cottage Hospital Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Nantucket, Massachusetts
The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner provides treatment for patients with psychiatric illnesses along the lifespan in an outpatient and inpatient setting. Treatment includes assessing, planning, implementing, coordinating and evaluating patient care among a multi-disciplinary team.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Evaluates, assesses and diagnoses patients needing behavioral health treatment at NCH.
- Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medical administrators according to practice guidelines.
- Develops and initiates treatment plans and goals, as well as treatment techniques utilized, and revises such plans as required.
- Bases treatment plans on a complete diagnostic assessment prepared by the clinician and may include medication management as a treatment course.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and participates in the development and promotion of nursing practice standards.
- Maintains knowledge of abuse and neglect identification, reporting requirements and referral procedures and resources.
- Assists patients, through coordination and referrals, in obtaining necessary services from other agencies to assist them in making a successful recovery.
- Collaborates with referral sources to facilitate and maximize admissions of appropriate patients.
- Maintains effective relationships with primary referral sources.
- Maintains records in conformity with standards and guidelines developed by the JCAHO, Bureau of Substance Abuse, Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership, and other third-party sources as determined by program policy and procedure.
- Follows and manages patients enhancing continuity of care.
- Collaborates with physicians and staff to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
- Provides expert consultation to other nursing, physician and Hospital staff in order to maximize the opportunity to provide the most appropriate treatment and maintain safety of the patient and the staff.
- Writes orders in accordance with current guidelines.
- Upon discharge, recommends and establishes appropriate aftercare plans and initiates follow-up.
- Arranges for or refers patients to needed services that cannot be provided at NCH.
- Maintains proficiency in the following advanced nursing practice skills: aggression management, emergency seclusion/restraint, AIMS testing, group leadership/co-leadership, intake referral process, suicide precautions, nursing consultation to non-psychiatric areas, and emergency codes.
- Maintains and practices in accordance with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital regulations.
- Familiar with trends in healthcare and their implication to the treatment of patients with behavioral health disorders.
- Provides on-call services including coverage for vacations and holidays.
- Participates in the development, execution and periodic review of the written behavioral health policies.
- Assures that patient health records are maintained and completed in accordance with policy guidelines.
- Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
- Adheres to all NCH standards, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for personal goals, professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
- Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required_
- Demonstrated competence in Psychiatric services.
- Knowledge of relevant Federal and State laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of written policies and procedures.
- Ability to exhibit a high degree of professional excellence characterized by sound independent judgment, initiative, and a high standard of ethics.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work effectively with medical staff, nursing, advanced practice providers and leadership.
- Ability to make rational decisions quickly and independently.
- Exceptional organizational skills and flexibility to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Effective oral, written and teaching skills.
- Skilled in Electronic Medical Record systems.
- Master’s degree in Mental Health Nursing, Clinical Nurse Specialist/Nurse Practitioner, from an accredited school required.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts required.
- Current authorization to practice as a Nurse Practitioner in Massachusetts required.
- Prescriptive privileges in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts required.
- DEA controlled substance handling certification required.
- Massachusetts controlled substance certification required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience prescribing clinical practice in the area of alcohol and substance abuse and/or mental health required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required within 30 days of hire.
- Day and weekend hours required; must be flexible with scheduling.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Job: *Advanced Practice Nurse
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3268581