Morgan Stanley Kafka Specialist in Montreal, Canada
- To work with some of the best professionals in the business - for a firm that values individual intellect as much as teamwork
- State-of-the-art offices that are designed to maximize collaboration
- Flexible working arrangements
- Enriching challenges that provide opportunity for constant learning and advancement
- An environment which is leveraging technology to its highest potential
Enterprise Technology & Services (ETS) delivers shared technology services for the Firm supporting all business applications and end users. ETS provides capabilities for all stages of the Firm’s software development lifecycle, enabling productive coding, functional and integration testing, application releases, and ongoing monitoring and support for over 3,000 production applications.
ETS also delivers all workplace technologies (desktop, mobile, voice, video, productivity, intranet/internet) in integrated configurations that boost the personal productivity of our employees. Application and end user services are delivered on a scalable, secure, and reliable infrastructure composed of seamlessly integrated datacenter, network, compute, cloud, storage, and database services.
The Middleware Infrastructure L3 support team is part of the EC Data Services Organization at Morgan Stanley. The team manages and supports a variety of products/applications including MQ and Kafka.
This position is for a Level3 support role with global responsibility for managing and providing support for these middleware products with focus on Kafka plant running on Kubernetes (MS Private Cloud) in Morgan Stanley with on call coverage to handle production escalations.
The successful candidate will be involved in day-to-day management of plant, troubleshooting with users, handling of change, incidents, escalations and problem management. This includes server administration, technical troubleshooting of infrastructure and user incidents, server and application deployments and task automation to streamline manual processes and replace them with automated ones, build tools to performance administrative activities on the plant and enable users view, self-service for tasks they can perform themselves
Main job responsibilities include:
- Production Management for Kafka on Kubernetes and MQ plants
- Deep-diving into complex troubleshoots, implementing changes, and serving as an escalation point for the Level 2 teams.
- Creating and maintaining best practices / policies and ensuring that they are followed.
- Work with External vendors and internal Project Managers to develop the execution for changes.
- Participate in the weekly Review meetings and actively engage with various engineering teams to review the infrastructure.
- Actively participate in the weekly Change meetings to explain their changes and answer any questions from the change board.
- Incident and Problem management
- Built automation to replace manual tasks with tools.
- Built tools to enable self-service operations by application users and L1/2 staff to reduce the overhead involved in day to day operations.
- Experience with Kafka
- Good knowledge of Linux OS
- Good Knowledge of JVM
- Experience with Python or Ansible
- Strong team spirit and relationship management skills, customer focused
- Strong understanding of ITIL
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and high pressure situations for outage handling, management or resolution
- Willingness to take ownership and accountability to execute and deliver on goals; strong commitment to high quality standards.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Understanding of data services with past experiences in one or more supported technologies.
- Understanding of Data Caching products such as Redis and Gemfire
- Experience with IBM Websphere MQ 9
Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm and a market leader in investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. At Morgan Stanley Montreal, we are shaping the future of our global business and contributing to our local community. Our team works across numerous areas.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Knowledge of French and English is required.
Spotlight on our Montreal Technology Centre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5GaXpCwKs
*Video dated October 2019.
Build a career with impact. Visit morganstanley.com for more information.
Title: Kafka Specialist
Requisition ID: 3172621