Michigan Technological University HVAC Technician in Main Campus (Houghton, United States
Apply now (https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/1021/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=492550&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us) Job No: 21114
Department: Facilities Management
Work Type: Union
Location: Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Categories: Labor/Service/Maintenance, Skilled Trades
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The HVAC Technician is responsible for the inspection, maintenance, repair, installation, calibration, and troubleshooting of all components of campus HVAC systems, including steam systems and controls.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
Maintain, repair, replace, inspect, calibrate, install and troubleshoot:
• HVAC system components such as steam traps, steam coils, heat exchangers, steam stills, fans, electric motors, water pumps, compressors, dampers, boilers, heat pumps, humidifiers, ductwork and piping.
• DDC and Pneumatic control systems and components such as controllers, modules, sensors, actuators, transducers and software.
• Refrigeration equipment and building air conditioning systems including coolers, refrigerators, freezers, electric driven and steam absorption chillers, cooling towers, condensers and related equipment.
• Fabrication and installation of HVAC systems and controls.
• Maintains spare parts inventory for essential HVAC and control equipment.
• Responds to emergency call outs which may occur during off shift hours.
• Follows all university safety policies and procedures while performing duties including use of hot work permits and confined space procedures and takes prescribed safety classes and training.
• Attends additional training classes as assigned and continually works toward increasing knowledge and skills relative to field of work.
• Prepare cost estimates, layout sketches, material selection, schedules, surveys, and reports for various projects as assigned. Coordinate and/or lead as assigned the efforts of other trades in projects involving multiple trades, solicit input in project estimates, layout and material selection from other trades and planning and engineering.
Contribute to a safe working environment by: following safe work procedures, wearing assigned PPE, actively participating in safety training and development of safe work procedures.
Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
• High School diploma or equivalent post-secondary certificate.
• Graduate of a mechanical trades school program in HVAC, steam fitting or industrial piping combined with 4,000 hours of on the job training in the trade or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
• Valid driver’s license.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Four years’ experience in maintaining, repairing, and troubleshooting commercial or industrial heating and ventilation equipment such as fans, electric motors, water pumps, dampers, actuators, boilers, ductwork and piping.
• Four years’ experience maintaining, repairing, and troubleshooting building steam systems such as condensate pumps, steam traps, pressure reducing valves, heat exchangers, steam autoclaves, steam stills, steam coils, and steam humidifiers
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Graduate of a mechanical trades school program in HVAC, steam fitting or industrial piping combined with 8,000 hours of on the job training in the trade leading to certification as a journeyman.
• Training and coursework in air conditioning and refrigeration, blueprint reading, CAD, industrial piping, piping systems, pneumatic and electronic controls, steam systems and welding.
• Experience in maintaining, repairing and troubleshooting direct digital controls, network control modules and controllers, resistive temperature devices, (RTD’s), thermistors, current to pneumatic transducers, electric to pneumatic transducers,
• Experience in maintaining, repairing and troubleshooting commercial and industrial refrigeration including freezers, refrigerators, coolers, and ice making machines.
• Experience in programming Building Energy Management Systems, PLCs and
• Experience in installing, maintaining, troubleshooting or repairing Air Conditioning equipment, chillers, cooling towers and condensers.
• Licensed boiler operator/installer, journeyman plumber license, journeyman electrician license.
• EPA 608 Refrigerant Recycling and Recovery Certification.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. **
• Demonstrated knowledge of safe maintenance procedures applicable to the trade.
• Demonstrated knowledge of standard practices, building codes, regulations and theory applicable to building HVAC systems.
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability of how to properly maintain, troubleshoot, calibrate, repair and install typical commercial and industrial steam systems and their components including boilers, boiler controls, boiler auxiliaries, piping, valves, PRV’s, safety valves, steam traps, expansion joints and condensate pumps.
• Knowledge of water treatment for boilers, hot water systems, chilled water systems and cooling towers
• Knowledge of typical commercial and industrial digital and pneumatic HVAC controls systems and components.
• Demonstrated ability to read blueprints, wiring diagrams, temperature control diagrams, operating and maintenance instructions, plans and manuals.
• Basic knowledge of 3-phase circuits up to 480 volts.
• Demonstrated ability to use manual and electrical tools and equipment applicable to the position.
• Demonstrated ability to join piping and related components by soldering, threading and adhesives.
• Ability to be trained for and to work in OSHA regulated confined spaces.
• Knowledge of the basics of hot work permits.
• Demonstrate competency in using personal computers to access web sites, load and operate software, use word processors and spreadsheets and manage files and directories.
• Ability and availability to work flexible hours, overtime, evenings, nights and weekends when required to handle emergencies or work backlogs.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Knowledge and ability to troubleshoot, maintain and repair refrigeration systems.
• Basic knowledge of digital and computer control systems.
• Pneumatic control components such as regulators, air dryers, controllers, thermostats, actuators, and operators.
• Basic knowledge of Variable Frequency Drives
• Knowledge of Building Energy Management system control components and software including fume hood control systems.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands:*
• The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, sense heat or feel objects, tools, keyboards and controls; stand; talk and hear; and taste and smell. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance on stairs, ladders and work platforms; kneel, crouch or crawl.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close, distance, peripheral, and color vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
• The employee must be able to control hand movements required while using tools and equipment for this trade.
• The work environment is that of a typical industrial fabrication shop or equipment room setting.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Hearing protection is required.
Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):*
• Hearing protection, safety glasses, hard hat, work gloves and as prescribed by specific safety assessments for various tasks.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Title IX Training
Required Departmental Training:
• Safety training modules and training specific to this position.
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
AFSCME Posting 5/25/2021 - 6/1/2021.
External applications reviewed after internal applications.
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount ($23.50/hr).
Title of Position Supervisor
Internal & External Posting
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures* (minimum requirements)
Advertised: 25 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now (https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/1021/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=492550&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us) Refer a friend