Covanta Projects Heavy Equipment Mechanic in Lorton, Virginia
Covanta South Region is hiring a Heavy Equipment Mechanic- Come Join Us in Protecting Tomorrow
What Covanta Offers You:
Highlights of Covantas Competitive Total Rewards package:
- A competitive base salary
- Day 1 - Health Care Benefits, includes dental and vision
- Wellness Program Incentives and Rewards
- Retirement Savings Plan and 401K with Company match
- Paid Time Off (Vacation and Holiday)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
At Covanta, the work we do is more than just a job. Its a commitment to environmental problem-solving and sustainable progress. We do all that we can to safeguard the future of our people, our planet and our shared prosperity. We are a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Our modern Waste-to-Energy and material processing facilities provide municipalities and businesses sustainable alternatives to landfill disposal that help build a circular economy and use waste to generate clean, renewable electricity. Building a safer, smarter world is no simple task, but it is something we can achieve together. Join us in protecting tomorrow.
The Heavy Equipment/Mobile Equipment Mechanic will diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment such as front-end loaders, forklifts, tractors, trailers, and other light- and heavy-operating equipment in support of the Facilitys overall operations.
- Schedule maintenance for industrial equipment and machines and keep equipment service records.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts to braking system, engines, fuel system, power train, electrical system and hydraulic system.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers specifications.
- Operate and inspect machines or heavy equipment to diagnose defects.
- Read and understand operating manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Dismantle and reassemble heavy-operating equipment using hoists and hand tools.
- Overhaul and test equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
- Adjust, maintain, and repair or replace subassemblies such as transmissions, using hand tools, jacks, and cranes.
- Repair, rewire, and troubleshoot electrical systems.
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions to determine required repairs, using engine diagnostic equipment such as computerized test equipment and calibration devices.
- Examine parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
- Weld or solder broken parts and structural members, using electric or gas welders and soldering tools.
- Research, order, and maintain parts inventory for services and repairs.
- Clean, lubricate, and perform other routine maintenance work on all facility vehicles to ensure that equipment and vehicles operate efficiently and safely.
- Assemble gear systems, and align frames and gears.
- Clean parts by spraying them with grease solvent or immersing them in tanks of solvent.
- Adjust and maintain industrial machinery, using control and regulating devices.
- Fabricate needed parts or items from sheet metal.
- Minimum of four years vehicle and heavy equipment maintenance experience, or two years of mechanical trade school training and two years experience as a vehicle and heavy equipment mechanic.
- Must be able to operate mobile equipment such as front-end loader and tractor/trailer for diagnostic purposes
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Current valid CDL Class A license is a plus.