Nuveen Investments Paralegal, Nuveen, based in London in London, United Kingdom
Job Title: Paralegal
Reporting to: Associate General Counsel, Europe & APAC
Nuveen is the investment management arm of TIAA. It is one of the largest global asset managers ($1 trillion AUM as of 31 Mar 2021) with specialist knowledge across a wide array of asset classes, including fixed income, equities and alternatives. Nuveen is driven not only by the independent investment processes across the firm, but also the insights, risk management, analytics and other tools and resources a truly world-class platform provides. As a global asset manager, our mission is to work in partnership with our clients to create outcome-focused solutions to help them secure their financial future. For more information about the firm please visit our website at www.Nuveen.com
Overview of the Role
As a member of the Nuveen EU and APAC legal team, the Paralegal is responsible for assisting the team in all aspects of legal work, including transactions, corporate advisory services and legal processes. The Paralegal role is a central role in the legal team and one that requires high attention to detail, organisation, commercial insight, communication skills, determination and flexibility to support the different business needs.
The Paralegal will be specifically responsible for supporting members of the legal team in the following primary areas:
• leading process projects for the legal team, introducing software to streamline the legal and corporate approval processes, producing quarterly reports to the Nuveen boards, managing policy documents, communicating to and training the business;
• assisting the transactional legal team with deal and document organisation, drafting simple agreements, researching key topics and and helping with external counsel reviews on cross border matters; and
• assisting the corporate advisory legal team with the operational legal work which will include intra-group agreements, commercial contract reviews, policy writing and research.
Initially the Paralegal will principally act for the Real Estate limb of Nuveen in EU and APAC, however there is scope for this role to grow to assist other asset classes at Nuveen also as the EU and APAC legal team develops. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a successful legal team in a top tier global asset manager.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Acting as the principal point of contract for the EU and APAC business in respect of non-disclosure agreements (NDAs), managing templates, the corporate NDA policy, training business partners, negotiating complex NDAs with business partners and managing the approval and signing procedure.
• Assisting the transactional counsel with day to day matters including document organisation, minor drafting, research and external counsel management.
• Assisting the corporate advisory counsel with day to day matters including policy writing, research, communications and minor contract reviews.
• Leading the development, enrolment and maintenance of legal technologies and processes. Acting as a point of contact for members of the business on legal processes and fielding ad-hoc enquiries, where appropriate directing enquiries to the most appropriate member of the legal team.
• Producing legal update notes for the team on developing areas of law which affect the business, attending external counsel training sessions and producing update notes useful to the team.
• Maintenance of the Legal Drive to ensure document depositaries, the knowledge bank and templates storage are organized and up to date.
Technical Skills & Qualifications Required
• 2.1 degree required in law or alternative degree with completed conversion course
• Preferably obtained LPC Certificate (or equivalent)
• Prior experience as a paralegal in private practice or an in-house legal team within the corporate, commercial, real estate or asset management sectors
• Experience of drafting of NDAs and negotiating simple commercial agreements
• Competent with Microsoft Office and legal research tools
• Persuasive, energetic, positive, articulate and resilient
• Committed, determined and motivated, a self-starter attitude
• Ability to understand and succinctly summarise legal matters
• Organised with a desire to manage a varied workload
• Concise legal drafting ability
• Strong attention to detail
• Team player
• Genuine interest in real estate and asset management industry as well as the legal profession
FCA registration required: No
ASIC registration: No
Nuveen is the investment management arm of TIAA. It is one of the largest global asset managers with specialist knowledge across a wide array of asset classes, including fixed income, listed equities and alternatives. Nuveen is driven not only by the independent investment processes across the firm, but also the insights, risk management, analytics and other tools and resources a truly world-class platform provides. As a global asset manager, our mission is to work in partnership with our clients to create outcome-focused solutions to help them secure their financial future. For more information about the firm please visit our website at www.nuveen.com
TIAA offers support for those who need assistance with our online application process to provide an equal employment opportunity to all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities.
If you are a U.S. applicant and desire a reasonable accommodation to complete a job application please use one of the below options to contact our accessibility support team:
Phone: (800) 842-2755
For residents of California, please click here (https://www.tiaa.org/public/tiaa-nuveen-ca-privacy) to access the TIAA CA Applicant Privacy Notice.
For residents of the EU / UK, please click here (https://www.tiaa.org/public/nuveen-eu-uk-privacy) to access the EU / UK Pre-employment Notice.
For all other residents, click here (http://www.tiaa.org/public/tiaa-nuveen-privacy) to access the Applicant Privacy Notice.
TIAA started out over 100 years ago to help ensure teachers could retire with dignity. Today, many people who work at not-for-profits rely on our wide range of financial products and services to support and strengthen their financial well-being.