Kiewit Corporation Industrial Senior Estimator in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 116561
Job Level: Senior Level
Employment Type: Full Time
The Industrial Senior Estimator be responsible for taking client requested scopes and incorporating solutions from the engineering, environmental, procurement, construction and start up services groups to produce an estimate. Core objectives include: functional understanding and interpretation of RFP documents, application of historical rate and production information, and foster the development and growth of the estimating department staff through mentoring and improved work processes to meet the needs of industrial clients.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering consulting and design firm serving a broad range of the industrial markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the industrial, transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Our operations-focused engineering provides our clients with safe and efficient facilities and it integrates our 130 years of construction experience to finish projects on time and to make sure that Nobody Gets Hurt.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Engineering team, which includes process, mechanical, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Mineral Processing, Renewable Fuels, Pulp and Paper, Steel & Aluminum, Industrial Buildings, and Industrial Energy, Water and Utilities.
• Develop complete estimates for very large, complex industrial projects.
• Know and understand the strategy on how to be the low bidder
• Must read the specifications and develop notes for the unique or extraordinary items.
• Make it a priority to know the estimate inside and out
• Know how to build the project (best practices, sequence, geographical challenges etc.). Work with discipline leads to formulate a plan that includes all lessons learned and costs and put that plan to paper
• Understand what design deliverables by discipline are required and assure that the delivery schedule is met
• Take the lead in making sure we are pricing the “lowest cost” in all disciplines
• Facilitate Cross-Discipline Communication
• Train and mentor younger estimators in the preparation estimates.
• Review estimates prepared by other estimating groups or JV partners to determine data completeness and procedures; aid in resolving differences in bid items
• Use recognized engineer techniques and procedures to conduct estimates and adhere to standard company policy
• Must be capable of handling major technical problems encountered during bid preparation.
• Stay current on various trends and developments such as new equipment, means & methods, and procedures developing in the industry or specialized discipline (e.g., mechanical, electrical, etc.).
• Understand Industrial project past cost data for benchmarking to compare to estimates
• Monitor Key Estimate Metrics - Be aware of and monitor key estimating metrics that are looked at by Senior Management and ensure that the estimate falls within the accepted boundaries. Be able to explain any metrics that my fall outside these accepted boundaries.
• Approve all wages, composite crews, payroll tax and insurance values.
• Complete the project organization chart
• Resource Load CPM schedules – Optimize schedule resource loading with schedulers
• Communication with Senior Managers - Communicate critical issues and estimate assumptions up to the Manager as they arise to ensure everyone is on the same page for the reviews to eliminate late changes.
• Schedule and prepare for the estimate reviews
• Conduct a detailed formal review of all engineered equipment, subcontract, and permanent material pricing.
• Prepare special studies or reports required by the unusual nature of some bid items or conditions.
• Formulate the procurement and subcontracting strategy
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or construction-related technology, OR extensive and related work experience leading to a thorough understanding of the knowledge, skills and abilities described above
• At least seven years’ experience in a related role bidding industrial projects
• Extensive knowledge through demonstrated experience of heavy industrial construction, especially industrial projects
• Strong attention to detail; strong communication, interpersonal, leadership and team-building skills
• Excellent negotiation skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Work, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Understanding & proficiency in developing (CPM) master project proposal schedules
• Ability to perform duties in wide-ranging physical and climatic conditions, heights and negotiation of complex stair structures
• Demonstrate through leadership, the desire to win the project
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Kiewit Corporation Jobs