Nelnet Application Security Engineer in Juneau, Alaska
Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.
We are looking for IT Software Engineers for the Nelnet Application Security team to develop and work collaboratively with innovative IT Delivery teams and Business Operational areas implement the NDS Application Security program, improve the security posture of our development process, and coach development teams on application security topics.
This position requires work in support of the Company’s contract with the United States Department of Education (“ED”). As such, the United States Government requires that any applicant for this position must complete United States Government security clearance. Effective June 1, 2018, ED has informed Nelnet that security clearance applications for foreign nationals are not being accepted or processed. In light of this direction from ED, Nelnet will be unable to hire applicants without United States citizenship for such positions.
• Develop and maintain applications to support our application security concepts
• Develop security reference implementations
• Integrate security into our build and deploy pipelines
• Maintain security controls and measure implementation across technology platforms, .NET, Java, Cloud, etc
• Enable controls to monitor our development supply chain (i.e.third party dependencies)
• Remediate and facilitate the resolution of vulnerabilities
• Participate and facilitate Risk Assessment and Threat Modeling
• Serve as an auditing, consulting, and training resource to all Nelnet product teams
• Perform appropriate vulnerability scanning – static and dynamic analysis
• Work with external entities that are performing vulnerability scans
• Participate in tool and vendor selection process from a security perspective.
• Create and update learning resources for application security
• Develop and present on application security topics for a wide variety of audiences
• Stay informed about application security best practices across Nelnet development platforms including web, mobile, and cloud
• BS / MS in Computer Science, Engineering, related discipline or equivalent experience
• Minimum 2 years of experience in web application software development.
• Minimum 1 years of experience focused on Application Security.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
• Understanding of a variety of application development architectures, platforms, methodologies, and supporting operating system
• Experience identifying and protecting against web application and web-service security vulnerabilities including those found in the OWASP Top 10 and CWE Top 25
• Knowledge of authentication and authorization, cryptography, and API security
• Ability to identify, triage, manage, and remediate security vulnerabilities
• Experience with build processes and CI/CD
• Knowledge of cloud technologies
• Experience with web and API development technologies such as .NET, Java, NPM, Angular, React
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong consensus building, multi-tasking, interpersonal, and analytical skills
• Enjoys looking for and building efficiencies into the team, takes ownership
Candidates: Pay range for this position is $70,000 -$105,000
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK (http://nelnetinc.com/careers/benefits/) .
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at 402-486-5725 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.
You may know Nelnet as the nation’s largest student loan servicer – but we do more than that. A lot more. We’re also a professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payment processor, renewable energy innovator, and K-12 and higher education expert (and that’s just a shortlist). For over 40 years, we’ve been serving our customers, associates, and communities to make dreams possible.
EEO Info (https://nelnetinc.com/wp-content/uploads/EEO-poster.pdf) | EEO Letter (https://nelnetinc.com/wp-content/uploads/EEO-Jeffs-Letter.pdf) | EPPA Info (https://nelnetinc.com/wp-content/uploads/Employee-Polygraph-Protection-Act-Poster.pdf) | FMLA Info (https://nelnetinc.com/wp-content/uploads/FMLA-Leave.pdf)
- Nelnet Jobs