Battelle Energy Alliance dba Idaho National Laboratory Reservoir Engineering Postdoctoral Research Associate in Idaho Falls, Idaho
The Geothermal Energy and Subsurface Systems Group in the Power and Energy Systems Department is seeking a Postdoctoral Associate in Reservoir Engineering, Computational Modeling, Engineering or a related field to augment its research team focused on enhanced geothermal systems, carbon sequestration, and hydrogen storage. We are seeking a colleague to join our team researching solutions to enable the transition to a low carbon economy.
The ideal candidate will have an oil and gas and/or carbon capture utilization and storage industry background as a reservoir engineer with excellent computational modeling skills, strong research and analytical skills, and a basic understanding of geology and subsurface science. The candidate should be able to design and analyze the impact of well placement and have a sound grasp of multi-phase flow in the subsurface. The candidate will be required to engage regularly with geoscientists and understand reservoir performance as a function of mechanical, geochemical, and microbial conditions.
The ideal candidate will have a publication record, experience writing competitive research proposals, and good interpersonal and written communication skills.
The candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team environment. Ideal applicants will demonstrate (1) a willingness to seek opportunities to learn new skills, (2) a self-motivated work ethic, and (3) a collaborative and teamwork attitude. This position will involve some travel and some work outside normal office hours.
The position will require the candidate to:
- Independently analyze data from research experiments, field observations, and scientific literature, and integrate them into numerical models;
- Create new and modify existing computational models using high performance computing assets;
- Create and/or modify computational models of coupled thermo-chemical-mechanical (TCM) and thermal-hydraulic-mechanical-chemical (THMC) processes in porous materials;
- Contribute to the development of program plans and assist developing concepts for new business;
- Extract and compile technical data and documentation as required and contribute to technical reports, publications, and presentations at national technical meetings and project reviews with program sponsors;
- Support management and program leadership in meeting DOE/industry expectations, milestones, and deliverables, and INL internal reporting metrics; and
- Interface and develop relations with other labs and industry related to current work scope.
*Minimum Requirements: * * PhD in reservoir engineering, computational modeling, engineering (mechanical/chemical/civil) or a related field. PhD requirements must be completed by commencement of appointment and within the past 5 years. * Demonstrated oral and written communication skills in English * Demonstrated computational modeling skills
*Preferred Requirements: *
- Demonstrated ability to organize complex research activities.
- Relevant research accomplishments documented by publications in scientific literature.
- Experience developing models in a high performance computing environment.
- Strong customer interaction and presentation skills.
*Job Information: *
- Salary Grade: $95,004.00 Annually
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills. /INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy’s mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation’s nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions./ /Growing INL: An Overview of New Facilities and Capabilities/
INL Mission Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
INL Vision Our vision is to change the world’s energy future and secure our nation’s critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reasonable Accommodation We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Other Information When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation We have an extremely competitive salary structure and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit:https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/
Organization: *Energy & Environment Science & Technology (Bxxx)
Title: Reservoir Engineering Postdoctoral Research Associate
Location: ID-Idaho Falls
Requisition ID: 20350