Arup Power System Engineering Leader in Houston, Texas
Power System Engineering Leader
HOU00006T Requisition #
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to Shape a Better World.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Operating in the utility-scale renewable and resilience markets, our energy team uses cutting-edge energy systems such as solar, offshore wind, battery energy storage, microgrids and green hydrogen to provide comprehensive solutions to our client’s most challenging energy needs.
We’re currently seeking an experienced Americas Group South Power System Engineering Leader with a track record in winning and delivering utility-scale renewable energy distributed generation projects. The successful candidate is a highly skilled and innovative engineer who leaves a strong positive impression on clients and who has a vision and insight to shape a better world. The successful candidate will assist us expand our scope of services in the growing renewable energy fueled power generation market.
We currently have significant international experience in both solar PV and offshore wind and are looking to grow that in the Americas, and particularly in the USA in the next five years. Our plans are defined by a commitment to the UN sustainable development goals, particularly through the delivery of clean energy. Our growth will be achieved from a combination of delivery of technical excellence, development of select intellectual property and key client relationships on gigawatt scale power developments.
• Contribute to and execute the firm’s market plans for delivery of power systems engineering in to the utility-scale renewable energy market in the Americas with a focus on the solar PV and offshore wind and hydrogen generation markets led by the Texas group.
• Lead proposal preparation and procure work. Preparing Arup submission material including scope, schedule fees and terms and conditions,
• Manage bid and execution phase design and consulting services withing the utility-scale renewable energy sector described above.
• Day to day management of the project including scope, schedule, change management, financial performance, risk, acting as key contact with the Arup client and the ultimate client and project stakeholders.
• Lead the overall design and/or management of full electrical systems for utility-scale applications, including power, distributed generation, energy storage, microgrids, control and signaling systems
• Oversee the quality of work delivered by the engineering team for utility-scale generation systems and associated controls, including solar PV and energy storage.
• Oversee the quality of construction drawings and specifications for medium and high-voltage electrical systems and equipment.
• Provide feasibility analysis to guide clients into the correct advanced energy choices for their particular application.
• Preparing and reviewing high-quality technical and consulting reports.
• Manage financial and technical performance on projects to time and budget.
• Assist to deliver the utility-scale renewable energy business internal operating plan goals including strong commercial performance of projects.
• Recruit, appoint and manage subconsultants and subcontractors responsible for delivering scope on behalf of Arup.
• Be responsible and accountable for client relations (internal and/or external).
• Connect with clients, keeps them informed, seek and distribute client and stakeholder feedback, listen to complaints and praise team and collaborator good performance, manage expectations and respond appropriately.
• Ensure Arup competes effectively through a thorough understanding of external market conditions (method of procurement, fees, scope of service, conditions, and competitor benchmarks).
• Proactively engaging with clients and contractors to prepare high quality, technically efficient and cost-effective project solutions.
• Seek other projects opportunities for Arup and contribute to or lead business development activities.
• Developing and maintaining good working relationships with clients and engineering partners.
• Contribute to the overall leadership of Arup’s Energy business in the Americas region.
• Mentor and develop people, promote learning from successes and problems within the group.
• Ensuring the technical, commercial and soft skills development of staff.
• Promote excellent quality of project work.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering; Master’s degree preferred.
• 15 years’ experience in the design and project management of utility scale power generation, transmission, and distribution systems projects.
• Proven track record of managing the design and delivery of large and complex solar, storage and grid integration projects.
• Experience with power system control and protection systems and strategies.
• PE license and NCEES accreditation for comity to USA states as needed. A Canada P.Eng qualification will be an advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team of engineers, other technical and support staff.
• Excellent track record in business development with exceptional team leadership and relationship building skills.
• Demonstrated strong commercial acumen and financial skills.
• Sound industry networks amongst potential client market and a significant reputation in a relevant area of expertise.
• Sound understanding of renewable energy standards and procedures.
• The ability to prioritize work effectively, manage deadlines and exceptional organization skills required for our rapidly changing environment.
• Excellent communication skills essential for team-based working.
• Effective presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, as needed, to achieve agreed goals and results.
• Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
You’ll enjoy this position if:
• You want to be part of a leading energy professional engineering and consulting team that is changing the world for the better and leading an exciting industry.
• You thrive in a truly multi-disciplinary environment – we have over 40 disciplines in our Americas team and regularly collaborate with them on the delivery of a variety of projects.
• If you love to create well-engineered systems, collaborate with world-class, market-facing teammates, and see the results of your energy design and analysis work through the ever-increasing success of your team and clients.
• You are driven to help grow the business, broaden our energy capabilities and can develop relationships in the local market.
• You enjoy working directly with clients, contractors and the project team for projects throughout the USA and beyond and are willing to take responsibility for project delivery.
Benefits that Work - At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement - Arup requires all new employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Arup is an equal opportunity employer and consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, will consider requests for reasonable accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious beliefs where it is able to do so without undue hardship to Arup.
Flexible Working - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
Arup is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all qualified candidates regardless of minority, veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or other status protected by law. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at.
Previous Job Searches
Create and manage profiles for future opportunities.
Track your opportunities.
Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
©Arup Careers. All rights reserved.
- Arup Jobs