NextEra Energy Environmental Services Project Manager - Linear Facilities (Houston, TX) in Houston, Texas
Environmental Services Project Manager - Linear Facilities (Houston, TX)
Date: Nov 12, 2023
Location(s): Houston, TX, US, 77002
Company: NextEra Energy
Requisition ID: 74797
is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun, and a world leader in battery storage. We provide energy-related products and services that grow our economy, protect the environment, support our communities and help customers meet their energy needs. We are leading the decarbonization of the U.S. economy with our goal to reach Real Zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2045 while improving customer affordability and reliability. Are you interested in creating a cleaner environment for future generations? Join our world-class, innovative team today.
Position Specific Description
This position is in the Environmental Licensing & Permitting Section of the Corporate Environmental Services Department supporting new linear facilities development opportunities for NextEra Energy throughout the US.
We are seeking a Project Manager who has a passion for environmental due diligence and permitting of linear facilities, including pipelines and electric transmission projects. The applicant must have relevant environmental siting, routing, permitting, and project management experience, with the ability to lead projects with limited direction. The position provides the opportunity to use your environmental knowledge and skills to help prepare competitive proposals, acquire federal and state environmental permits, complete alternative analyses and risk assessments, conduct due diligence for potential new projects or acquisitions, and advise multidisciplinary teams on environmental risk and permitting strategies.
The candidate must demonstrate advanced knowledge of and experience with aquatic, biological, and cultural surveys and studies; federal, state, and local permitting, risk assessments, due diligence, and agency coordination, such as federal and state fish, wildlife, and game departments, FERC, state historic preservation officers, public utility regulating agencies, USDA, USACE, and other relevant agencies.
The job location is Houston, Texas. Routine out-of-state travel may be required.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Advanced knowledge of environmental permitting and regulations
• Advanced oral and written communication skills as well as analysis, problem-solving, compliance, leadership, and process/project management skills
Tasks may include (List is not exhaustive and may be supplemented):
• Environmental siting, licensing, permitting, due diligence, and outreach support for linear projects, including transmission and pipelines
• Identification, management, and mitigation of environmental risk
• Strategic mindset with ability to provide innovative solutions to environmental challenges
• Independent decision-making in a fast-paced environment, with minimal oversight
• Project planning, budget, and schedule management
• Negotiations with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies
• Management and oversight of environmental field studies and consultants, including development/management of vendor contracts/purchase orders /invoices; ensure sourcing processes comply with corporate procurement and financial policies
• Effective and timely communications with internal and external stakeholders
• Ability to support multiple projects with multifaceted environmental and regulatory issues and assist in resolving complex environmental matters
• Maintain current knowledge of, and ensure compliance with, pertinent federal, state, and local environmental policies and regulations as well as company policies
• Translate regulations and permits into actionable tasks
• Review, monitor, comment on, and effectively communicate business implications of emerging environmental legislation and regulations
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Schedule flexibility with the ability to work extended hours as needed
Employees in this job provide specialized environmental expertise and environmental technical support to ensure compliance with environmental laws, regulations and permits.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Leads environmental programs that provide specialized expertise to ensure cost effective environmental solutions
Maximizes operational flexibility and environmental benefits for costs incurred
Contributes to improved system reliability and customer satisfaction
Translates regulations and permits into actionable tasks
Provides guidance on alternatives to minimize environmental impacts
Identifies, tracks, and analyzes environmental performance metrics
Reviews, monitors, and comments on emerging environmental legislation and regulations
Assists with development of strategy and communicate environmental requirements to management
Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Experience: 6+ years
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Environmental/Chemistry/Rad Protection
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Relocation Provided: No
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies . Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs