Charles River Laboratories Senior Scientist - Medicinal Chemistry in Harlow, United Kingdom
Senior Scientist - Medicinal Chemistry
Req ID: 116075
Saffron Walden, GB, CB10 1XL Harlow, GB, CM19 5TR Hatfield, GB, AL10 9SN
For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
At Charles River, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of experienced and enthusiastic scientists in a motivated and supportive environment. We currently have new opportunities to join our medicinal chemistry teams at our sites in Hatfield, Harlow or Saffron Walden, where you will be working closely with colleagues in multidisciplinary teams to deliver results to your clients. In addition to developing your practical skills, you will have opportunities to expand your non-lab skills within areas such as presentation, scientific writing and operational or continuous improvement initiatives, whilst learning about the drug discovery process in a fast-moving and dynamic contract research organization.
You will develop your synthetic chemistry skills and gain experience in medicinal chemistry by optimizing compounds for biological testing with the ultimate goal of identifying a potential candidate suitable for drug development.
• To design routes, plan and efficiently perform the synthesis of target compounds
• To use scientific literature and provide solutions to technical problems
• To become familiar with a variety of modern synthetic techniques including microwave technology, and parallel synthesis
• To become familiar with purification techniques such as automated column chromatography and HPLC.
• To start interrogating and understanding a variety of biological data
• To communicate clearly and effectively with key stakeholders, interfacing positively with clients
• MSc/MChem/BSc qualified within a relevant discipline as a minimum, PhD in a relevant discipline preferred.
• Some industrial experience - placement or sandwich year within a relevant sector ideal
• You are an effective communicator and team player
• You have good organization and time management skills
• A dynamic, can-do attitude and a flexible approach to problem solving
• You would like a career discovering new medicines for the future
• Commitment to personal development to enable future career progression
• You must be able to provide a Right to Work in the UK
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 350 patents and 80 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Charles River Laboratories
- Charles River Laboratories Jobs