Eversource Energy Senior Engineer, Distribution System Planning (Hybrid) in Hadley, Massachusetts
Performs as project leader and/or carries out assignments requiring mastery of subject matter, with extensive experience associated with modeling and planning distribution lines and distribution substation facilities in an electric power system. Exhibits strong technical skills on the design of the electric power system. Exhibits advance knowledge of utility electric power system data and model maintenance. Represents the company regarding matters in distribution planning at the state public utility commissions and various state and regional entities.
This is a hybrid role. The first three months are fulltime in the office.
- Identifies Distribution System problems involving multiple feeders and substations, leads and conducts scenario-based planning studies, evaluates alternatives and recommends appropriate solutions to ensure a reliable distribution system.
- Develop medium (2-5 year) and long (5+ year) range distribution plans involving load relief, capacity, asset related issues, and large DER integration.
- Collaborate with multiple cross-functional groups in developing a long-range planning criterion for integrating and enabling two-way communication of new technologies, including photovoltaic solar (PV), electric vehicles (EV), and battery storage.
- Prepare contingency studies for distribution networks including N-1 and N-2 analysis.
- Propose new distribution substation and associated OH and UG feeders.
- Perform area wide voltage and power factor studies, recommending findings to distribution engineering and operations
- Work with the DER planning team on area-wide distribution impact of DER and prepare distribution planning studies with varying penetration levels of DERs.
- Leads or conducts forecast studies to determine loads used in distribution planning studies.
- Partners with other departments (Distribution Engineering, Asset Management, Standards, Transmission/Substation engineering, etc.) to prepare economic analysis for complex projects; recommends the allocation of costs for facilities used jointly with other utilities.
- Recommends project priorities for the capital construction program financial review.
- Conducts and/or manages the studies required to support the need for facilities, the evaluation of alternatives and the preferred solution contained in chapters, reports and testimony for distribution applications for proceedings before regulatory agencies.
- Prepares distribution related documentation and/or testimony to support regulatory filings.
- Effective communication, support and implementation with distribution customers pertaining to proposed facilities.
- Provides leadership in coordinating multiple cross-functional groups, and positive guidance for engineers.
- Presents recommendations and/or results to all levels of management as appropriate.
- Represents the department and the company on various committees.
- Recommends the development and/or changes as appropriate of criteria and standards for distribution planning.
- Working knowledge of electric simulation software models and power distribution systems analysis, including load-flow, transient, and 8760-hours simulation
- Knowledge of new technologies including but not limited to photovoltaic solar, electric vehicles, and battery storage
- Knowledge of the techniques for planning the expansion of distribution lines and distribution substation facilities.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical theory as applied to planning an electric power supply system.
- Advanced knowledge of distribution line design and operating practices.
- Knowledge of National, State and other planning standards.
- Good written and oral communication skills, including formal presentation.
- Excellent team skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills, ability to develop strategic partnerships.
- Ability to achieve desired results by setting high standards for self and others, and accepts responsibility for outcomes.
- Baccalaureate degree in Electrical Engineering required, Electric Power Systems preferred.Masters’ degree in Engineering preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years related experience in planning, design, and operations related to distribution line and distribution substation facilities, with a thorough knowledge of power system planning.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Connecticut, Massachusetts or New Hampshire is desirable.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
Eversource offers a competitive total rewards program. The annual salary range for this position is
$117,400.00 to $130,440.00, plus incentive. Salary is commensurate with your experience. Check out the career site for an overview of our benefits.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs