HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Paramedic in Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Fort Walton Beach Medical Centeris a 267-bed top-performing quality hospital with over 200 of the most highly respected and qualified physicians in the area. It is the only acute care hospital in the Tri-County area that offers open heart surgery, an Advanced Primary Stroke Center accredited by the Joint Commission and an Accredited Chest Pain Center. An affiliate of the UAB Cancer Community Network, Fort Walton offers a Cancer Care Center that is accredited by the Commission on Cancer. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center also provides advanced care for critically ill patients, including cardiovascular and trauma injury care, and emergency services, including a main ER, Pediatric ER and Destin ER. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is in partnership with Twin Cities Hospital, located in Niceville. We are also the parent company of the Rehabilitation Institute, both located in Destin.
The Paramedic under the direction of the Medical Director and Emergency Services Director is responsible for implementing technical procedures and care on all Emergency Department patients safely and effectively. The quality of care and service given will adhere to the philosophy and objectives of the hospital and the department of nursing and will maintain and support the standards of nursing care and practice in order to meet the health care needs of patients, and their families. The Paramedic works responsibly with the RN and LPN in planning, and performing nursing care for patient(s) in accordance with the Florida State 10-D-66, physician’s orders, recognized nursing techniques, policies, procedures, established standards and administrative policies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the nursing process.
- Participates and cooperates in the unit based Quality Improvement processes.
- Supports, maintains and provides an environment which is supportive of quality patient care through effective use of resources and personnel.
- Practices, develops and endorses customer service skills in relationships with internal and external customers.
- Serves as the patient and family advocate with respect to the patients right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
- In conjunction with the RN and/or Nursing Supervisor, plans and implements patient care and teaching based on a total assessment and the age of the patient.
- Plans and implements patient care and teaching based on a total assessment and the age of the patient.
- Evaluates and documents patient response; monitors and recognizes changes in physiological and psychosocial status; takes appropriate action based on assessment of the patient.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, qualify of care or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient’s care which results in patient harm.
- Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
- Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
- Regular, punctual and dependable attendance.
- Maintain clear communication with attending physician and licensed nurse assigned to patient about all patient care issues.
- Assist licensed nurse by communicating any information collected during their interaction with the patient or family. Receive patients from EMS personnel.
- Monitor patients for arrhythmias, document EKG strips, and report findings to licensed nurse assigned to patient.
- Measure and record patient’s input and output.
- Administer medication from paramedic medication list, properly documenting the medication and effects, and clearly communicating with the physician and other members of the health care team assigned to the patient.
- As appropriate, keep patients informed of their treatment plan.
- Hang crystalloid IV fluids at prescribed rate, as ordered by attending physician.
- Chart on patient’s record as needed.
- Transport monitored and non-monitored patients to inpatient units and diagnostic areas.
- Tag and report broken equipment according to department policy.
- Assist physicians with central line insertions, lumbar punctures, defibrillation, cardioversion, chest tube insertion, thoracentesis, arterial lines, and suturing.
- Answer EMS radios and phones (Only physicians can give orders to EMS crews.)
- Maintains proficiency with basic arrhythmias as per AHA standard guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- _Core Competencies_:
- *Service: *Strives to meet expectations/needs of customers; responds to concerns with sense of urgency; seeks win-win solutions for unreasonable patient/customer expectations
- *Quality/Ethics/Integrity: *Seeks opportunities for improvement;prevents small problems from becoming large ones; pays attention to detail; follows instructions and protocol/procedures; adheres to company code of conduct; maintains integrity in all aspects of his/her work
- *Relationships: *Builds effective working relationships;finds and provides information to clarify situations; expands on original ideas; contributes own ideas; places high priority on other team members’ goals; gains team agreement to support ideas; clearly explains rationale behind ideas/goals; demonstrates sensitivity to differing cultural views and needs; meets attendance and punctuality requirements
- *Adaptability: *Seeks to understand changes in work tasks/processes; actively seeks information about new tasks/processes; treats change and new tasks/processes as opportunities for learning and personal growth; speaks positively about changes to others; quickly modifies behavior to deal effectively with change
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Some of our unique benefits we offer include:
- /Student Loan Repayment/
- /Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance Programs/
- /Paid Personal Leave/
- /401k (100% annual match – 3% to 9% of pay based on years of service)/
- /Identity Theft Protection discounts/
- /Auto, Home, and Life Insurance options/
- /Adoption Assistance/
- /Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)/
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Associate Degree Preferred
- FL Paramedic License
- BCLS–AHA Healthcare Provider certification required upon hire
- ACLS required within 90 days of hire
- PALS required within 90 days of hire
- CPI required within 90 days of hire
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- One (1) year of ambulance or ED experience preferred
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Reads and writes Basic English with the basic skills necessary to transcribe physician’s orders
- Knowledge of body substance isolation
- Ability to listen, empathize and respond to patient, family, internal and external partners needs
- Basic computer skills
Job: *Clinical Techs - CV Cath Lab Surg Vasc & Central Sterile
Location: Florida-Fort Walton Beach-Fort Walton Beach Medical Center
Requisition ID: 01307-11106