HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Laboratory Assistant in Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Fort Walton Beach Medical Centeris a 267-bed top-performing quality hospital with over 200 of the most highly respected and qualified physicians in the area. It is the only acute care hospital in the Tri-County area that offers open heart surgery, an Advanced Primary Stroke Center accredited by the Joint Commission and an Accredited Chest Pain Center. An affiliate of the UAB Cancer Community Network, Fort Walton offers a Cancer Care Center that is accredited by the Commission on Cancer. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center also provides advanced care for critically ill patients, including cardiovascular and trauma injury care, and emergency services, including a main ER, Pediatric ER and Destin ER. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is in partnership with Twin Cities Hospital, located in Niceville. We are also the parent company of the Rehabilitation Institute, both located in Destin.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *Position is a laboratory professional who provides administrative support to assist in laboratory operations. Duties include: ordering supplies, overseeing staff schedules, reviewing policies for correctness, working with other hospital departments to ensure lab operations are meeting the needs of the facility, and cataloging specimens for use by other health care workers, including laboratory technicians, nurses, and physicians. Specimens can include blood samples, bacterial cultures, urine and send out testing; along with blood drawing skill set.
- Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Orders supplies for Lab to ensure consistent availability for staff to perform their functions.
- Oversees department staff schedules, including PTO requests.
- Meets regularly with hospital departments to ensure lab is meeting their needs as it relates to turn around times, quality of service, and availability of lab personnel to meet the needs of the facility.
- Understands and follows OSHA standards and universal precautions, and disposes of biohazardous waste and sharps in accordance to regulatory requirements
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time.
- Display courteous, professional manner towards patients, co-workers, nursing and medical staff.
- Maintain clean work area.
- Order supplies as needed.
- Complete assigned duties efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Prioritize Traumas STAT, Urgent, Timed, and Routine patient orders.
- Creates specimen batches for Northwest Florida Clinical Laboratory Microbiology department.
- Assesses specimen adequacy for testing to include checking for accurate labeling of the sample, proper sample for test request, conditions of sample prior to testing. Notifies appropriate personnel for sample problems.
- Has a profound knowledge of varies laboratory testing menu of test not performed at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, and how to order, process, pack for shipping, and perform specimen tracking of all test sent to a reference laboratory.
- Performs various support activities to facilitate operation of assigned department or work area, which may include answering the telephone, clerical and receptionist duties.
- Adheres to the Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies; protects confidentiality of patient information and results at all times.
- Seek guidance and direction when necessary.
- Demonstrate the value of team concept on a consistent basis.
- Follow policy and procedures for the Clinical Laboratory and hospital.
You are worth more than a paycheck. Our Benefits Raise the Bar: 401(k) with an employer match up to 9% Employee Stock Purchase Plan Student Loan Forgiveness Tuition Reimbursement Paid Family Leave Medical Plan Options, Dental& Vision And much more!
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: * None EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED: * * Strong organizational and interpersonal skills * Ability to determine appropriate course of action in more complex situations * Ability to work independently, exercise creativity, be attentive to detail, and maintain a positive attitude * Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work * Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial, and legal information * Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner * Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing * Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner *SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES: * Filing and clerical skills. Copying and faxing skills helpful * Must have verbal communication skills to effectively interact with their staff, clients, management and technical staff in the lab. They must also be trained in or proficient in phlebotomy so as to effectively demonstrate to their staff how procedures should be performed. Must have good organizational skills to make sure all routes are covered at all times. * Should be thoroughly versed in FWBMC policies and procedures with emphasis on specimen collection, processing and transport. Must know when and how to apply Universal Precautions with respect to laboratory specimens * Ability to remain focused on and achieves established goals. Ability to meet time restraints and remain flexible in staffing to cover where needed as needed, maintaining a positive attitude and professional demeanor at all times.
Title: Laboratory Assistant
Location: Florida-Fort Walton Beach-Fort Walton Beach Medical Center
Requisition ID: 01307-11221