The Child Center of NY College and Career Advisor in Flushing, New York
Job Title: College and Career Advisor Department: Youth Development
Reports To: Program Coordinator, Assistant Director, Program Director, Senior Program Director
Effective Date: 7/1/21
College and Career Advisor is responsible for working with students to develop a plan for success
in school; in the workplace; and in their future personal and professional endeavors. The CCA also
promotes school attendance outreach efforts. This position provides guidance and support to help
clients graduate HS and meet their college and career goals.
● Monitor student attendance and academic progress; communicate with
appropriate personnel; make necessary outreach efforts; and schedule
interventions as necessary to ensure middle school and/or high school graduation.
● Educate, advise and support students and parents about postsecondary options (college,
technical school, employment options). and maintain and share information on colleges, college
guides, scholarships, financial aid, and paying for college.
● Publicize information about standardized tests such as SAT, ACT, and TOEFL,
helping to administer AP and PSAT exams.
● Assess skills and interests via individual interviews and/or group work. Develop academic and
• Advocate for students’ rights and wellbeing and ensure they learn self advocacy.
• Provide intervention/immediate support for issues that prevent a student from
functioning appropriately at school and refer to mental health services if needed.
• Sustain relationships with family members to address issues impacting student
performance and success.
● Participate in and help facilitate student activities including but not limited to college
visits, school trips, and school events. Liaise with schools, employers and professional
● Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications Required
● Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Counseling, Social Work or related fields.
● 3 years’ direct service experience working with youth and young adults related to academic
advisement; interventions; counseling; and/or youth development services.
● Bilingual in one or more of the following: Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Bengali and others,
may be required depending on client needs.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Effective conflict resolution skills.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office
● Ability to prioritize, adhere to timelines and multitask.
● Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
Job Behavioral Expectations:
In this section list the behavior characteristics the person should have and demonstration
order to be successful at their job and keep their job. See bullet list for examples.
• Maintain regular consistent and professional attendance, punctuality, personal
appearance, and adherence to relevant health & safety procedures.
• Safe and successful performance, including meeting productivity standards.
• Maintain an understanding of the principles, methods and processes needed to perform
the job. Attends staff meetings, seminars and in service training as assigned.
• Demonstrates the ability to complete work in an acceptable manner by the time and/or
date established with accuracy, neatness and thoroughness and minimal amount of errors.
• Maintain established departmental policies and procedures including maintain strict
confidentiality and adherence to all HIPAA guidelines at all time.
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to
walk, sit for long period of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or control;
reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or
move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Work is performed in an office environment with normal heating and cooling.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only job duties to be performed
by the incumbent. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any
other duties requested by his or her supervisor.