CDM Smith Discipline Leader-Long-Range Transportation Planning in Fargo, North Dakota
We are open to filling this position in any of our offices across the United States
CDM Smith is seeking an experienced and dynamic individual to join our growing Transportation team as a Long-Range Transportation Planning Discipline Leader. The Discipline Leader will provide a variety of professional transportation planning services including providing expertise in long-range transportation planning and strategic decision-making. This includes a focus on statewide and regional long-range transportation planning; multimodal and freight planning; NEPA planning; corridor planning; resiliency and sustainability planning; and diversity, equity, and inclusion planning related to transportation.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in long-range transportation planning, a proven track record of successful project management, excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to manage multiple assignments, and experience with the development of client relationships. Experience managing long-range transportation plans for state departments of transportation and metropolitan planning organizations is preferred.
If you are a strategic thinker with a passion for creating sustainable and efficient transportation solutions, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity as the Long-Range Transportation Planning Discipline Leader.
The Long-Range Transportation Planning Discipline Leader’s anticipated responsibilities include:
• Serve as project manager, deputy project manager, and major task leader for a variety of transportation planning studies, including state and regional long-range transportation plans, corridor studies, freight studies, and planning and environment linkage studies.
• Support the Transportation Planning Practice Leader in growing the practice through technical advancement, innovative applications, and CDM Smith brand promotion.
• Collaborate with other transportation planning discipline leaders to support the growth of the transportation planning team both internally with staff and with our clients.
• Support our client service units with pre-positioning for major pursuits by identifying and showcasing our technical differentiators.
• Partner with sales and technical leadership to build relationships with federal, state, regional, and local planning clients, with an ability to work successfully across markets.
• Lead technical luminescence activities including conference presentations, technical papers, and webinars.
• Embracing continuous improvement, a culture of quality, accountability to commitments, CDM Smith’s Core Values, and challenge of the “status quo.”
Discipline Leader-Long-Range Transportation Planning
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Urban, Community or Regional Planning or related discipline. AICP, PTP, PE, CEP or approved certification in a related field. Or Master's degree in Civil Engineering, Urban, Community or Regional Planning or related discipline. 10 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree or 9 years of experience with Master's degree. Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands. Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
• 10 years of transportation planning experience and preparation of planning documents, such as long-range transportation plans, freight plans, corridor studies, active transportation plans, transit plans, resilience plans, and safety plans.
• A strong background with a state department of transportation.
• Demonstrated experience in scoping and delivering long-range transportation planning contracts for public sector clients including state departments of transportation and metropolitan planning organizations.
• Thorough understanding of the federal transportation planning and project development process and related funding programs.
• Demonstrated experience in managing projects and tasks with attention to deadlines and budgets. Good organizational skills, multi-tasking capabilities and attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
• Experience participating in business development activities such as developing project teams and pursuit strategies, and proposal writing.
• Experience coordinating with public agency staff, private consultants, stakeholder outreach teams, and professionals in other disciplines for successful project completion.
• Confidence in public speaking before laypersons, stakeholders, and teaming partners.
• Experience in industry organizations. Examples: Transportation Research Board (TRB), American Planning Association (APA), and WTS International.
• Mentors and develops staff skillsets aligned with long-range transportation planning.
• Promotes a culture of collaboration, quality, and leading by example through CDM Smith’s Vision and Core Values.
• Project management certification (PMP) is a plus.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship status, genetics, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Why CDM Smith?:
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.cdmsmith.com/en/Video/Meet-CDM-Smith)
Join Us! CDM Smith – where amazing career journeys unfold.
Imagine a place committed to offering an unmatched employee experience. Where you work on projects that are meaningful to you. Where you play an active part in shaping your career journey. Where your co-workers are invested in you and your success. Where you are encouraged and supported to do your very best and given the tools and resources to do so. Where it’s a priority that the company takes good care of you and your family.
Our employees are the heart of our company. As an employer of choice, our goal is to provide a challenging, progressive and inclusive work environment which fosters personal leadership, career growth and development for every employee. We value passionate individuals who challenge the norm, deliver world-class solutions and bring diverse perspectives. Join our team, and together we will make a difference and change the world.
Job Site Location:
Midwest United States
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No - We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Skills and Abilities:
Expert knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by all transportation modes, and understanding of current transportation trends/issues, including the relative costs and benefits. Expert knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process. Expert knowledge of the practical application of regional and community planning. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, models, and equipment to study and/or design of movement of people, goods and services. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Background Check and Drug Testing Information:
CDM Smith Inc. and its divisions and subsidiaries (hereafter collectively referred to as “CDM Smith”) reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may conduct drug testing for designated positions. Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the United States. The timing of when background checks will be conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the background check precede an interview. CDM Smith will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant's criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate. In addition, during employment individuals may be required by CDM Smith or a CDM Smith client to successfully complete additional background checks, including motor vehicle record as well as drug testing.
All bonuses at CDM Smith are discretionary and may or may not apply to this position.
Work Location Options:
Hybrid Work Options may be considered for successful candidate.
- CDM Smith Jobs