GKN Aerospace Preset Tool Setter - Weekend Shift in El Cajon, California
Preset Tool Setter - Weekend Shift
Apply now »
Date:Mar 7, 2023
Location: El Cajon, CA, US
Company: GKN Aerospace Careers
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 38 manufacturing locations in 12 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The function of the Preset Tool Setter is to install cutting tools (drills, end mills, reamers, porting tools, back spot face tools, chamfer tools, etc..) into tool holders, to designated set lengths and runouts defined by the programming department. These tools will be used by the machine shops. Potential candidates for the Preset Tool Setter do not necessarily have to have prior experience. We have an excellent training group and process. They must however have a good attitude, mechanical ability, basic math, and an excellent attendance record.
• Uses computer software to find and print correct revision Tool Set-up sheets for jobs.
• Follows Tool Set-up sheet (MSTA) to order tools from Tool Crib.
• Verifies correct tools are received per tool sheet.
• Uses hand tools (such as torque wrenches) and Heat Shrink machine to remove and secure cutting tools that need to be replaced.
• Identifies which tools are to be ran again per the tool sheet (QPP).
• Uses scales, calipers and height gages to set tool lengths in various tool holders.
• Uses Heat Shrink machine and various torque wrenches to secure tools in holders.
• Uses computerized Measuring machines as well as precision measuring tools to verify a multitude of various dimensions.
• Labels tools.
• Verifies all tools meet the dimensions and quantities per part on the MSTA.
• Communicates well with programmers, Engineers, Peers, and Management the changes and obstacles necessary to perform the Preset functions.
• Maintains a clean and safe work space.
• Works well as a team player in a fast paced environment.
High school diploma or GED Equivalent
1+ Years of experience in a manufacturing environment
1+ years of experience with tool setting experience in a manufacturing, preferably aerospace, environment with knowledge of cutting tool geometry, and suitability for a task.
• GKN Experience
• Basic math.
• Basic computer skills.
• Mechanical aptitude.
• Team Player.
• Experience with milling cutting tools preferred, but not mandatory.
• Experience with torque wrenches preferred, but not mandatory.
The pay range for this role is between $21.00 per hour - $24.00 per hour.
Diversity Inclusion and Belonging (DIB)
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.