Michigan State University(MSU) Research Associate-Fixed Term in East Lansing, Michigan
The Horticulture Marketing and Economics group at Michigan State University is seeking a postdoctoral research associate for a 1-year position in the areas of marketing and bioeconomic modelling to work as part of a multidisciplinary research group. The successful candidate will assume the responsibility of independently designing and developing a user-centric web-based prognostic platform while implementing an advanced bioeconomic model. The model will aim to optimize resource utilization by incorporating environmental control variables, technical production factors, and market responses across diverse production settings and crop varieties. This position is available for a one-year term, contingent upon a mid-year performance review, and does not offer the possibility of extension.
Applicants are required to have completed requirements for a Ph.D. in economics and possess expertise in bioeconomic modeling, consumer behavior analysis, and statistical/computational modeling, or related field. A comprehensive understanding of bioeconomic models and their application to indoor agriculture is essential, and familiarity with horticulture would be advantageous. Proficiency in data analytics and programming, particularly in R, is mandatory, while knowledge of Python and Artificial Intelligence methods is considered beneficial. Candidates should exhibit exceptional analytical and creative thinking skills, as well as a solid background in econometrics and economic modeling.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Developing an optimization model for indoor agriculture that incorporates environmental control parameters, technical production factors, and market preferences for crop attributes.
- Creating statistical and computational methodologies to effectively implement these models within a user-centric web-based prognostic platform.
- Documenting and publishing research findings in peer-reviewed journal papers.
- Assisting in the supervision of graduate students and contributing to the teaching of graduate-level courses
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Appropriate qualifications and research training relevant to the duties, including completion of a PhD in economics with demonstrated expertise in econometrics and computational methodologies.
- Knowledge of optimization models and their role in indoor agriculture.
- Experience in computer programming, particularly R.
- A strong record of research achievement and publication, relative to opportunity.
- Ability to communicate research outcomes and research ideas.
Ability to take initiative and independently develop research proposals.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.