Occidental Petroleum Mechanical Designer in Deer Park, Texas
Title: Mechanical Designer Location: United States-Texas-Deer Park Other Locations:
Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential. OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Mechanical Designer within our Deer Park PVC/KOH Plant located in Deer Park, Texas.
Essential Job Duties:
- Support/work with the plant Capital Projects Engineer for program element development and implementation and assist with special projects where needed.
- This position will require the designer to create accurate drawings of existing equipment and pipe routings using drawing scans, photos, and field measurements of equipment
- Assist engineering staff with all aspects of plant pipe/mechanical design projects.
- Utilize process piping knowledge to perform pipe design/drawing development.
- Develop design output documents including P&IDs, plan/section views (piping and HVAC), elevation and isometric sketches for drawings and engineering instructions.
- Create AutoCAD & Navisworks drawings of structural, piping, mechanical, and electrical systems and control panels.
- Handle customization of AutoCAD workstations, manage plotting, transfer of files, importing or converting other CAD file formats, pictures, scans, etc.
- Participate in QA/QC audit processes (verify field measurements vs drawing requirements).
- Perform required QA/QC steps for new field / shop construction and verification in field.
- Occasional travel to vendor site to perform dimensional inspections of in process equipment fabrication.
- Coordinate the development of design output documentation to support minor facility modifications.
- CADD review against site standards and reconciling CADD project drawing files back into the master drawing files.
- Resolution of field review discrepancies with on-site/off-site vendors and managers.
- Pulling field measurements for modification design and verification prior to installation.
- Create and revise piping and instrument diagrams, piping isometrics and plot plans.
- Create Navisworks 3D models and drawings of piping and structural systems.
- Create fabrication drawings including spool drawings and structural details.
- Work alongside Inspector to create UT (thickness testing) location maps of piping and equipment.
- Field verification of pipe measurements and tank measurements/design for installation.
- Create conduit layouts and wiring schematics.
- Create BOM and material takeoffs.
- Create foundation drawings and structural steel drawings.
- Help evaluate and validate contractor performance.
- Participate in planned or unplanned plant outages.
- Supports and fulfills the requirements of the plant’s ISO Quality System.
- Complete additional responsibilities as assigned by Plant Management.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Associates degree in Applied Sciences in Drafting and Design Technologies (or equivalent) preferred.
- 5 years of design and drafting experience.
- Working knowledge of CADD software (2D as well as 3D).
- Working knowledge of material specifications and application.
- Expertise of piping construction codes and practices.
- Knowledge of fabrication methods and processes preferred.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- 10 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience in chemical manufacturing facility.
- Proficient in SAP.
- Experience using AutoCAD/Navisworks.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.