Hilton Assistant Chief Steward in Damai Laut, Malaysia
With thousands of hotels in over 100 countries and territories, Hilton offers countless opportunities to delight. From an open door to a welcoming smile and an exceptional experience, we offer the millions of travellers who stay with us every year a welcome they will never forget. In addition to our flagship brand, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, the family of brands includes Waldorf Astoria, LXR, Conrad, Canopy, Curio Collection, DoubleTree, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton and many others.
If you appreciate the impact global travel can have on the world, you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Hilton Team Member. Because it’s with Hilton where we never forget the reason we're here: to delight our guests, Team Members, and owners alike.
An Assistant Chief Steward oversees and directs all aspects of stewarding operations under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief Steward, following Hilton policies and procedures. This role ensures that quality standards of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation of all kitchen areas, equipment and utensils are maintained at all times, leading to guest satisfaction, employee satisfaction and profit for the hotel.
What will I be doing?
As the Assistant Chief Steward, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Focus on customer service.
- Resolve issues and effectively communicate with customers and colleagues.
- Guide Steward Supervisors and Stewards in their jobs.
- Oversee the cleanliness standards for kitchen areas, banquet rooms, equipment and utensils, controlling and analyzing costs for these areas as well as costs for cleaning supplies, payroll, breakage and loss, ensuring guests and team satisfaction.
- In-charge of implementing the cleaning program as scheduled and monitoring the results of the program.
- Be up to date with new cleaning supplies, equipment, trends and systems in stewarding.
- Assist the Stewards during operations.
- Responsible for the handling and daily maintenance of all kitchen and cleaning equipment, storing safely all flatware, glassware, hollowware, utensils and related equipment.
- Maintain stock for cleaning supplies, chemicals and operating equipment, making requisitions when needed.
- Assign specific tasks to the stewarding team.
- Maintain and update the Steward Operating Manual, chemical and cleaning charts for the team’s reference.
- Report all accidents and incidents.
- Conduct and prepare the monthly operating equipment inventory.
- Monitor operating equipment, reporting any breakage or loss in the Breakage and Loss Report.
- Coordinate with the Engineering department for preventive maintenance systems for exhaust, drainage, burners, fryers, refrigerator, freezers and other major equipment.
- Inspect all stewarding supplies and equipment received according to the established specifications.
- Check that all areas of the kitchen, canteen, and storerooms are of approved sanitation standards.
- Update and review cleaning products, purchase specifications and cleaning methods to ensure the highest possible standards at all times.
- Direct and check setups for buffets in the outlet and banquet functions.
- Provide active supervision during the implementation of cleaning schedules.
- Monitor the daily, weekly and monthly banquet functions, outlet promotions and activities, to plan for provision of equipment and manpower.
- Acquire contact from various hotels in the city to secure additional equipment for big functions and events.
- Knowledgeable of fire safety and security procedures in relation to the stewarding operation.
- Knowledgeable of all job description in stewarding section, capable of performing tasks as required.
- Check and maintain the sanitation level of the garbage room (wet and dry).
- Coordinate with Finance and Security in processing the disposal sale of pig’s lop.
- Actively seek verbal feedback from customers and team members at each service period.
- Be available to assist on duty in the Restaurant & Bars during any busy days or special events.
- Knowledgeable of departmental standards and able to explain the standards to team members.
- Assess team members’ performance against departmental standards.
- Describe, assign and delegate duties and authority for the operation of the Stewarding Team at all times.
- Plan ahead and ensure adequate resources are available.
- Coordinate with the Engineering and Housekeeping departments to ensure maintenance and cleanliness, ensuring that follow-up procedures are maintained.
- Ensure that the shift is reviewed, and handovers and briefings are carried out.
- Establish good communication with the Kitchen team.
- Get members of the team to work cooperatively with others.
- Keep the team up to date about departmental, hotel, company activities, special events and restaurant promotions through regular communication meetings and memos.
- Assist with selecting, training, coaching and developing team members to meet current and future needs of the department and the hotel.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of customers and all team members.
- The Management reserves the right to make changes to this job description at its sole discretion and without advance notice.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What are we looking for?
An Assistant Chief Steward serving Hilton Brands is always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviours, skills, and values that follow:
- High School Diploma equivalent or above.
- At least 5 years of working experience in a 5-star category hotel.
- At least 2 years as a Stewarding Supervisor in an international brand hotel.
- Possess a valid health certificate.
- Knowledgeable of team member training and motivation procedures.
- Able to set priorities and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Work well in stressful situations, remain calm under pressure and able to solve problems.
- Able to work in a moist, hot and sometimes loud environment.
- Guide and direct the Stewarding team to perform at the best level in terms of quality, hygiene and profitability.
- Flexible, responds quickly and positively to changing requirements including the performance of any tasks requested of you.
- Maintain high team focus by showing co-operation and support to colleagues in the pursuit of team goals.
- Motivated and committed, approaching all tasks with enthusiasm and seizing opportunities to learn new skills or knowledge in order to improve personal performance.
- Familiar with computer systems.
- Knowledge in HACCP.
- Good command in English, both verbal and written to meet business needs, preferred.
- Working experience within Hilton Group advantageous.
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travellers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!
Title: Assistant Chief Steward
Requisition ID: HOT09WVJ
- Hilton Jobs