Cardinal Health Hospital Pharmacist in Covington, Louisiana
What Health System Pharmacy contributes to Cardinal Health
Pharmacy Operations is responsible for the safe, efficient and effective coordination of Cardinal Health's pharmacy operations that service acute care hospitals, hospital retail customers, ambulatory care and alternate site facilities, oncology and cardiology practices as well as retail customers.
Health System Pharmacy is responsible for providing customized pharmacy program solutions that reduce costs and improve patient care quality for hospitals, health systems and other integrated healthcare providers may also consult with and advise healthcare team on prescribed medications, supplies and related processes.
Cardinal Health manages the pharmacy at PAM Specialty of Covington, and we are currently recruiting for a Pharmacist to work 32 hours per week. The facility is open Monday through Friday 8AM to 4:30PM. There may be opportunity to float to the Hammond location as well.
Working in a hospital system pharmacy outsourced to Cardinal Health, the Pharmacist II adjusts and dispenses medication to patients and drives the compliant and efficient operations of the pharmacy. The Pharmacist verifies physician orders using the pharmacy information system, makes adjustments according to protocols for a given medication, and provides patient education. This job also supervises Pharmacy Technicians and manages compliance tasks related to accreditation, narcotics control, and inventory management.
- Applies expert knowledge of drugs and related protocols, to verify physician orders for medications using pharmacy information system. Checks drug and dose in relation to stated patient issue and addresses automated alerts from the system regarding drug type, dose, and other metrics.
- Supervises Pharmacy Technicians to ensure the compliant and efficient operations of the pharmacy. Checks all work of Pharmacy Technicians in line with State Boards of Pharmacy regulations and provides guidance on complex prescriptions, pharmacy automation systems, orders, and other issues.
- Adjusts dosages based on established protocols for each drug, ensuring that dosages are appropriate for the patient’s condition and in light of other medications the patient is using and completes clinical tasks related to antimicrobial stewardship.
- Educates patients on the proper use and expected effects of medications, especially when patients are using multiple medications, are beginning new regiments, or are being discharged.
- Manages narcotics and inventory control and compliance, including regular documentation and completion of checklists. Audits outdated medication in states where Pharmacy Technicians are not permitted to do so.
- Contacts Nurses and Physicians as necessary to verify orders and obtain additional information regarding the order.
- Assists the Pharmacy Director in maintaining the pharmacy’s accreditation and in implementing operational changes within the pharmacy, such as the use of new systems or adjustments of standard procedures.
- Licensed, “good standing” pharmacist in the state of Louisiana
- In-patient hospital pharmacy experience highly preferred
- Flexibility to work various shifts and on-call as needed
- IV experience preferred
- Ability to hear, write, and speak clearly in order to communicate with customers and health care professionals
- Strong customer service skills.
- Manual dexterity required for occasional reach, lifting and holding of small objects.
- Computer savvy to learn and perform successful operation of multiple pharmacy information systems.
A Covid-19 vaccination or a legitimate accommodation is required in order to be employed in this position. Covid-19 vaccination includes:
2 doses of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine
- 1 dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine
Please Note: vaccines may be required for the position subject to federal, state and/or customer requirements
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Applies working knowledge in the application of concepts, principles and technical capabilities to perform varied tasks
- Works on projects of moderate scope and complexity
- Identifies possible solutions to a variety of technical problems and takes action to resolve
- Applies judgment within defined parameters
- Receives general guidance and may receive more detailed instruction on new projects
- Work reviewed for sound reasoning and accuracy
Candidates who are back-to-work, people with disabilities, without a college degree, and Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Cardinal Health supports an inclusive workplace that values diversity of thought, experience and background. We celebrate the power of our differences to create better solutions for our customers by ensuring employees can be their authentic selves each day. Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, creed, status with regard to public assistance, genetic status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
To read and review this privacy notice click here (https://www.cardinalhealth.com/content/dam/corp/email/documents/corp/cardinal-health-online-application-privacy-policy.pdf)
We are a team of nearly 48,000 mission-driven partners striving each day to advance healthcare and improve lives. We are Essential to care.
Headquartered in Dublin, Ohio, Cardinal Health, Inc. (NYSE: CAH) is a distributor of pharmaceuticals, a global manufacturer and distributor of medical and laboratory products, and a provider of performance and data solutions for health care facilities
We are a crucial link between the clinical and operational sides of care, working with more than 4,500 sourcing and manufacturing partners to deliver end-to-end solutions and data-driven insights that advance healthcare and improve lives every day. With deep partnerships, diverse perspectives and innovative digital solutions, we build connections across the continuum of care.
With 50 years of experience, approximately 44,000 employees and operations in more than 30 countries, Cardinal Health seizes the opportunity to address healthcare’s most complicated challenges — now, and in the future.
On Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021, we celebrated the day our founder, Bob Walter, had the vision to start a business that became known as Cardinal Health.
One of the most important ways we celebrated was by giving back to the communities where we live and work. 2021 was a "Year of Service” for all Cardinal Health employees around the world.
View Cardinal Health on YouTube (http://youtube.com/user/CardinalHealth)
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Cardinal Health Jobs