Lumen Lead Information Security Engineer (Incident Response/Malware Analysis, US Remote) in Columbia, South Carolina
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Cybersecurity Incident Response Team (CIRT) Engineers are expected to respond to and mitigate/remediate cybersecurity alerts from Lumen assets. CIRT Engineers research and recommend preventative measures in conjunction with managing reactive alerts. In addition, CIRT Engineers are responsible to evaluate current capabilities and predict future needs, then work with internal stakeholders, vendors and peers to anticipate, define, and pursue these capabilities.
The Main Responsibilities
• Support and enhance Lumen's abilities to detect and respond to security incidents including internal events, targeted attacks and all other cyber incidents
• Actively hunt the enterprise for insecure, suspicious or malicious activity
• Update and maintain response guides for accuracy
• Secondary back up to respond to, remediate and document information security incidents not limited to dashboard (Advanced Threat Appliance & SIEM) alerts, tickets, emails, or phone calls
• Ensure Corporate Security owned infrastructure, event feeds, event processing, and asset intelligence are available and operating effectively
• Support the business units within Lumen by assisting as a liaison between Cyber Defense and other business units
• Must be willing to obtain GSA suitability to support Federal Programs
• Facilitate the coordinated response to an intrusion, minimize the impact of the threat, return the integrity of Lumen assets and network as quickly as possible
• Assist with significant incidents as needed or assigned
• Research and understand initial threat vectors and create protection mechanisms to prevent threat recurrences
• Recommend security best practices and system configuration standards
• Facilitate and lead incident response calls; provide documentation and reports to senior management
• Analyze malware, network indicators, and call back channels, and design and implement detection mechanisms
• Identify new technology to be reviewed by the Cyber Defense Infrastructure Team
• Maintain incident documentation, participate in post-mortems, and write incident reports
• Support Cyber Defense by managing projects that have high visibility by management
• Identify and mitigate real-time attacks through the leveraging of multiple sourced, correlated data such as host and network based IDS/IPS data, forensic data, and antivirus. This could include signature, flow, anomaly, and full packet capture analysis
• Maintain an expert knowledge of modern hacker tools, methodology, and attack trends
• Perform an on-call shift rotation
• Demonstrate effective communication skills, both verbal and written
What We Look For in a Candidate
• Undergraduate degree in Computer Science Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years of relevant work experience in incident response, computer forensics security, risk assessments, application security and network security.
• Strong work ethic, demonstrated self starter, ability to work in a fast paced, team oriented environment with excellent verbal and written and communication skills.
• Excellent understanding of common computing attack vectors.
• Considered expert in one (or more) of the following areas: Networking, Operating System (MS/Unix/Linux), database, or programming skills.
• Candidate must possess, or be willing to pursue, applicable professional/technical certifications, such as Security +, C|EH, OSCP, GCIH, CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GISEC, CISM or CISA.
• 5+ years of dedicated incident response and computer forensics work experience
• Professional/technical certifications, such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH), GIAC Certified Forensic Analyst (GCFA), GIAC Reverse Engineering Malware (GREM), Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP) or equivalent certifications in these areas.
• Development experience in scripting languages such as Python or Perl.
• Hands on experience using commercial Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM), “Next-generation” firewalls, web-content filtering systems, and/or Intrusion Prevention Systems.
• Experience in writing custom snort IDS/IPS signatures.
• Experience with large enterprise data centers and/or networks.
Requisition #: 278872
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information here. (https://jobs.lumen.com/global/en/compensation-information) We're able to answer any additional questions you may have as you move through the selection process.
As part of our comprehensive benefits package, Lumen offers a broad range of Health, Life, Voluntary Lifestyle and other benefits and perks that enhance your physical, mental, emotional and financial wellbeing. You can learn more by clicking here. (https://centurylinkbenefits.com)
Note: For union-represented postings, wage rates and ranges are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreement provisions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the base salary pay range for this job based on current national market data. Ranges may vary based on the job's location. We offer competitive pay that varies based on individual experience, qualifications and other relevant factors. We encourage you to apply to positions that you are interested in and for which you believe you are qualified. To learn more, you are welcome to discuss with us as you move through the selection process.
- Lumen Jobs