The University of Chicago Primary Instructor - Immersion & Summer Online Summer 2024 - 128164-3800 in Chicago, Illinois
This job was posted by https://illinoisjoblink.illinois.gov : For more information, please see: https://illinoisjoblink.illinois.gov/jobs/11663732 Description
Primary instructors have full responsibility for teaching part or all of a course in the Immersion or Summer Online programs for pre-college (academically advanced high school) students, developed in collaboration with the Summer Session Office. These are graded courses designed specifically for academically advanced high school students ready to tackle UChicago undergraduate-level material and assignments, and feature both traditional (e.g., lecture, discussion) and experiential (e.g., labs, field trips) learning activities.
Courses are taught in one of two formats:
- An intensive three-week format (June 17-July 5 or July 10-26, 2024) that meets in-person Monday through Friday, from 9am to 3pm, with a lunch break from 11:30am to 1pm.
- An intensive five-week format (July 10-August 9, 2024) that is remotely taught, with synchronous class sessions held Monday through Friday, for two hours in the morning or evening, plus additional morning and afternoon discussion or lab sections, and asynchronous materials such as pre-recorded lectures made available via Canvas.
Our instructional employment webpage contains the list of course offerings in which we have openings, as well as more information about our policies and processes:
Your cover letter should address a specific course that is listed on the Instructional Employment page as seeking instructors, as well as your qualifications to teach that course; without this, your application will not be considered. Courses will be listed and the page will be updated, as needed.
The links below provide descriptions of the Summer Quarter and September Term programs; please see individual course listings for course dates, meeting times, and other details.
Bachelor\'s degree required; Master\'s or Doctoral degree preferred
Prior teaching experience at the university or four-year college level required; familiarity with UChicago pedagogical practices, style, and curriculum preferred
Previous experience working with high school students or in an intensive summer program preferred, but not required
Candidates whose University of Chicago affiliation will end before the start of summer quarter (such as graduate students planning to graduate in the spring) will need to apply as external applicants; contact email@example.com for more
All hires must be approved by the Offices of the College Dean and Provost, are conditional on having authorization to work in the United States, and are also contingent on successful completion of a background check. All pre-college instructors must complete mandatory training on Safety of Minors on Campus compliance.
Instructors of remotely taught courses must be in the United States when teaching for the program, specifically in California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, or Wisconsin for tax purposes. Remote instructors must be able to perform their responsibilities from a remote location, and their remote work arrangements are their responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, an adequate internet connection and an adequate working space.
External candidates hired for this position will hold an appropriate title based on their status and affiliation at the time of appointment. For candidates hired as lecturers, this position will be part of the Service Employees International Union.
How to apply
1. Visit our Summer Session Pre-College page to learn more about the programs and their current course offerings, particularly those in which we have openings, as listed on our
page. Make sure that you are available to teach during the scheduled dates and times posted for the course before you apply.
2. Submit your application for the primary instructor position through the University of Chicago\'s Interfolio jobs board at https://apply.interfolio.com/136240. You will be required to upload a copy of your cover letter, CV, and reference contact information for current or previous teaching supervisor and/or department chair.
3. Completed applications will be reviewed beginning December 8, 2023. Applications will still be accepted after this date until all positions are filled.