Sheridan 3 Knife Operator 3rd Shift in Chelsea, Michigan
POSITION: 3 Knife Operator , 1^st^ Shift
REQ #: SMI 23-42
LOCATION: Chelsea, MI
3 Knife Operator
Sheridan. Be part of something greater. Your career awaits...join us!
Sheridan MI has operated in Chelsea, Michigan, for more than 70 years of service to the book publishing industry. Our customers depend on us to covert their ideas into one of the most important inventions man ever made, a book of printed words.
The objective of the 3-Knife Operator is to safely set up, change over and trim the three sides on all books running through the binder. The 3-Knife Operator works closely with the Binder Operator.
- Read and understand work order verifying correct bind type, bulk, trim size, margins and run lengths.
- Learn to interpret the information on the work order and its contents.
- Follow daily running order provided by Scheduling Team.
- Communicate with Supervisor and Scheduling Team as needed.
- Set up machine and perform quality cutting that meets expectations.
- Maintain high throughput by performing quick and efficient make-readies and job changeovers.
- Inspect for quality defects ensuring quality standards are achieved.
- Maintain accurate data collections.
- Understand substrates, bulk, sig size, trim size, and specified margins.
- Oversee all segments of 3-Knife operation.
- Provide training to Bindery Assistants in machine operation and safety; ensure Bindery Assistants performs duties as necessary.
- Be sure all waste is disposed of properly.
- Perform preventative maintenance, general cleaning and upkeep of machine and auxiliary equipment.
- Troubleshoot and perform minor repairs to machine and auxiliary equipment.
- Assist maintenance personnel with machine repair.
- Exercise initiative, ask questions and look for ways of improving productivity.
- Keep area safe and clean.
- Adequately communicate with oncoming shift
- Perform end of shift duties leaving area ready for oncoming shift.
- Assist training new operators and employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school Diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education or experience.
- One year of previous manufacturing or related experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as work orders, workplace, and safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Basic math skills, add subtract, and ability to use a measuring device.
- Basic problem-solving skills.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with the following software packages or programs:
- Effective email and electronic communication skills are required
- Ability to work with PrintStream & Flex
Ability to work with the following tools or machinery
- Pallet jack and lift
- Hand tools
- Torque wrench
- Knife jig
- Zebra label machine
- Retractable knife
- Air hose