St Josephs Indian School Facility Nurse in Chamberlain, South Dakota
The Facility Nurse is responsible for developing treatment protocols and primary care for Sacred Heart Center clients located in Eagle Butte SD. The position also provides and initiates preventive health services including immunizations, and health screening measures including vision, auditory dental, and physical assessment. The position will develop and implement wellness/education programs for Sacred Heart Center staff. The Facility Nurse will provide client wellness services for both shelters.
To be successful as the Facility Nurse, the incumbent will demonstrate excellent medical and organizational skills, and be able to make proper decisions and use judgment to complete the responsibilities of the position. The Facility Nurse will meet regularly with the supervisor and department directors to provide updates on client-related health issues. The Facility Nurse will work with administration and department directors to coordinate and deliver health services to clients. In addition, will coordinate activities to promote wellness amongst SHC staff.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Provides general healthcare and preventive health services to all Sacred Heart Center clients including guidance in nutrition, common illnesses, growth and development, communicable diseases, and hygiene.
2.Organizes and supervises medical records for all clients and updates medical records as needed.
3.Provides training and education to SHC staff on client health-related issues.
4.Maintain CPR/First Aid trainer certification throughout their tenure.
5.Provides CPR/First Aid training to all SHC staff.
6.Coordinates care for all clients including coordination of transport of clients to medical-related appointments and may assist with client transportation for medical appointments as needed.
7.Provides training/supervision to direct care staff in relation to health care needs of clients including the dispensing of prescription and non-prescription medication.
8.Provides treatment instructions to staff for clients.
9.Provides health counseling and education to clients on a one-to-one basis or in a group setting.
10.Maintains complete and accurate client medical records.
11.Attends all staff meetings and mandatory trainings.
12.Maintain courteous and professional relationships with other outside agencies.
13.Regularly works 40 hours per week, but may work overtime as required, to meet the needs of SHC and its mission.
14.Provides other services and work duties as needed to meet the needs of the Sacred Heart Center and its ability to carry out its mission.
This position is directly supervised by the Programs and Ops Administrator. This position will receive indirect oversight from Program Directors, as necessary, to meet requirements for grants and/or regulations.
This position is a non-supervisory position but may provide direction and guidance relating to the health care needs of clients. This position will hold the final say regarding all medical decisions and concerns related to clients and staff.
.Education and Experience:
- A minimum of an Associate degree in nursing is required.
- Bachelors degree in nursing (BSN) is preferred.
- Experience with working with both at-risk youth and adults is preferred.
- A valid South Dakota Nursing license is required.
- Comprehensive professional knowledge of nursing principles, practices, and processes including physical and emotional assessments.
- Two years experience as a Registered Nurse.
Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain confidentiality in all departments.
- Computer skills - must possess basic computer skills including the use of Microsoft Word and Outlook with the ability to learn job-specific programs and software.
- Interpersonal skills - must be able to communicate effecti ely with administrative staff, departmental staff, and clients.
- Job Knowledge - possess necessary skills to complete necessary tasks and duties for the position.
- Background in working with at-risk youth and DV and SA victims.
- Hold or obtain CPR/First Aid trainer certification within 6 months of employment.
- Additional Requirements:
- Possess a valid South Dakota Drivers License
- Must hold and maintain a valid RN license with the State of SD throughout employment.
- Must report any change in license status to Administration immediately.
- Be able to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Successfully pass pre-employment Drug Screen
- Successfully pass Criminal Background Check. The following may disqualify any applicant from consideration:
- Any felony conviction
- Any domestic violence violations, convictions, or restraints.
- Any violations, convictions, or restraints for actions made against children or vulnerable adults.
- Any false, untrue statements or material omissions in the application and related paperwork or during the selection process.
- Work Environment:
- Regularly working indoors in controlled temperatures and noise levels.
- Routinely work with medical equipment including sharps, chemicals, etc.
- Routinely work with clients with varying medical and health conditions with exposure to illnesses, body-borne pathogens such as blood-borne, etc.
- The employee will routinely operate typical business office equipment.
- Directly working with the clients while speaking and engaging verbally as required.
- Operating a company vehicle daily as necessary to complete duties.
- Use both hands and wrists repetitively for prolonged periods.
- The ability to physically restrain clients using provided training and techniques.
- Occasionally lift up to 25 lbs.
- Use of hands and wrists repetitively for extended periods of time.
- Physical dexterity and endurance to safety conduct the duties of this job to include the use of fingers, hands, arms, legs, and body regularly throughout the workday.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods up to or exceeding 8 hours per day.
- The ability to remain alert to the surroundings and soundly make quick decisions to maintain the safety of persons both staff and clients