Sutter Health Patient Access Representative II in Burlingame, California
MPHS-Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
Serves as the face to face point of contact for patients. This job is intended for use by positions employed by a hospital. Obtains all necessary information to register and financially clear patients. Greets patients/family members and obtains and/or verifies relevant information in the process of registering financially clearing patients for service delivery. Enhances the patient experience throughout all patient interactions by serving as the customer service point of contact at the point of service by demonstrating knowledge of Sutter's Health system and service offerings.
Job Description :
These Principal Accountabilities, Requirements and Qualifications are not exhaustive, but are merely the most descriptive of the current job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, staff changes, workload, or technical development).
• Greets patients/family members and obtains and/or verifies demographic, clinical, financial, and insurance information in the process of financially clearing patients for service delivery, including the entry of patient/guarantor information in the patient registration/accounting systems, collection of patient signatures on all appropriate forms and the imaging/copying of registration documents.
• Utilizes inputs to authenticate and register patients for service delivery for patients who have registered through the Patient Access Center; for those who are not registered, completes the end-to-end process of registration through close-out for service delivery.
• Obtains and processes signed physician orders.
• Maintains assigned work queue.
• Conducts insurance eligibility/benefit verification, referral/authorization, and financial education on designated accounts.
• Calculates estimated patient liability, informs patient/guarantor and actively collects appropriate patient liabilities, including co-payments, deductibles, and deposits at time of service and/or processes patient payments, accepts payments on prior services.
• Refers appropriate cases to financial counseling for follow-up and consultation.
• Executes other duties as assigned, such as cashiering, bed management, and communications operator.
• Enhances the patient experience throughout all patient interactions, which will be face-to-face or by other means of communication demonstrating knowledge of Sutter’s Health system and service offerings.
• Supports the implementation of programs, policies, initiatives, and tools.
• Contributes ideas and actions towards the continuous improvement of Patient Access related processes within area of influence.
• Adaptable to learning new processes, concepts, and skills Seeks and responds to regular performance feedback from team lead; provides upward feedback as needed.
• Maintains positive work relationships with members of other teams to communicate effectively and to ensure compliance with cross-team responsibilities.
Assists in ensuring efforts of the team to support building strong peer-to-peer relationships.
• Performs revenue cycle tasks necessary to ensure compliance and exceptional customer service.
• Authenticates patient identity throughout all processes.
• May provide directional support to patients and/or family members.
• Maintains knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, Standards of Conduct, Standards of Behavior, as well as Sutter policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
• Meet the department monthly cash goal.
Equivalent experience will be accepted in lieu of the required degree or diploma.
HS Diploma or equivalent education/experience
1 year of recent relevant experience.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
General knowledge of patient access, financial counseling, functions in acute, and non-acute settings.
Working knowledge and understanding of insurance and medical terminology.
Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) and Consent Laws knowledge.
Time management skills and the ability to manage frequent in-person patient contacts while effective maintaining and documenting data in the patient registration systems.
Demonstrated ability to work in multiple computer systems, such as patient registration/accounting systems, telephone consoles, document imaging, scanning, payment posting, proprietary payer websites and data quality monitoring, both accurately and efficiently.
Possess verbal and written communication and active listening skills.
Accuracy and attentiveness to detail.
Decision making and problem-solving skills.
Must be able to work concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in diverse environment.
Ability to meet or exceed targeted customer service, productivity and quality standards.
Computer proficiency skills.
Requires the ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
Days of the Week:
Every other Weekend
Number of Openings:
Sutter Health is an equal opportunity employer EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans.
Pay Range is $31.74 to $39.67 / hour
The salary range for this role may vary above or below the posted range as determined by location. This range has not been adjusted for any specific geographic differential applicable by area where the position may be filled. Compensation takes into account several factors including but not limited to a candidate’s experience, education, skills, licensure and certifications, department equity, training and organizational needs. Base pay is just one piece of the total rewards program offered by Sutter Health. Eligible roles also qualify for a comprehensive benefits package.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
- Sutter Health Jobs