City of Brampton SEASONAL LABOURER II - CEMETERY in Brampton, Ontario
JOB TITLE: SEASONAL LABOURER II - CEMETERY (2023 SUMMER OPPORTUNITY)
DEPARTMENT: COMMUNITY SERVICES
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Temporary 4-months
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hour workweek / variable hours
HOURLY RATE: $16.75 per hour
JOB TYPE: Management and Administration
POSTING DATE: November 18, 2022
CLOSING DATE: July 1, 2023
Are you looking to gain valuable experience, learn new skills and grow your career doing meaningful work with one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers? Then consider a summer job with our Parks Maintenance and Forestry Division. If you are returning to school in the fall and are looking to gain some great experience we want to hear from you.
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Foreperson, this position is responsible to assist with the daily maintenance of Brampton’s cemeteries. Ensure the safe operation of equipment and vehicles and compliance with rules and regulations.
• Assist with restoration and maintenance of burial plots after burial or removal of human remains – i.e. level graves, topsoil, seed, sod, irrigate.
• Assist with general turf maintenance – i.e. fertilizing, mowing, trimming, seeding, watering.
• Perform garbage collection, litter picking and maintenance of amenities.
• Assist with grave site maintenance and care – i.e. removal of flowers from graves.
• Edge and level grave markers.
• Assist with gardening – i.e. soil management, maintain and plant flowerbeds/displays.
• Assist with tree and shrub care – i.e. pruning, fertilizing, planting and staking.
• Report all concerns, accidents and incidents to immediate supervisor for follow up and take appropriate action.
• Responsible for the safe and efficient operation, care of tools and equipment.
• Communicate courteously with the general public and where necessary refer them to appropriate supervisor.
• Understand, adhere to, and enforce Corporate Policies & Procedures, Confidentiality Guidelines, Emergency Procedures and Health and Safety Standards for all participants and staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Completion of Grade 11
• Current Standard First from an accredited organization
• Ability to perform physical work duties in varied/all weather conditions
• Exceptional customer service and communication skills
• Valid Ontario non-probationary Class G Drivers Licence
• Ability to successfully acquire City of Brampton Drivers and Equipment permits
**Preference will be given to students that have a permanent residency in Brampton.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above by July 1, 2023 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. Should you wish to opt out of completing the survey, please select “prefer not to answer” as a response to each question. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
System ID: 2022-7416
Job Type (EN): Contract
Job Industry (Choose up to 3 industries) (EN): Agriculture, Horticulture and Fishery, Government and Public Sector
Career Level (EN): Entry Level, Student
Years of Experience: <1
External Company URL: www.brampton.ca/?
Post End Date: 7/1/2023