Outreach Development Corporation Substance Abuse Counselor in Bellport, New York
Exciting. High-energy. Rewarding.
Outreach is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Substance Abuse Counselor to work in our Bellport Outpatient Program located in Long Island. The Counselor is responsible for the delivery of direct clinical services in a substance abuse treatment setting containing Adolescents and Women.
What You Will Do:
· Conduct assessments, intakes and participate in level of care determinations by gathering appropriate data, orienting client to his/her rights and responsibilities and program expectations.
· Complete necessary administrative procedures for admission to treatment and as appropriate, assist in development of treatment plan.
· Facilitate admission/referral to other programs or agencies for clients in need of services not offered at Unit. Provide individual, group, and/or family counseling services in a professional, ethical and competent manner.
· Manage all aspects of assigned caseload during treatment, with special attention to appropriate levels of care and appropriate clinical interventions.
· Provide backup coverage in the event of other clinical staff absences. Complete all needed documentation and reports in a timely manner and inform Program leadership (Director, Asst. Director, and/or Coordinator) of any problems or anticipated inability to meet deadlines.
· Actively participate in staff meetings, case conferences and other unit meetings.
· Develop and maintain positive relationships with referents and other collateral contacts (i.e., Probation, Parole, CPS, managed care, E.A.P.’s, courts, etc.) through timely written, phone, computerized or other responses.
· Maintain communication and teamwork with clinical staff to integrate and enhance clinical services.
· Conduct toxicology testing as needed.
· Oversee and/or coordinates care with managed care organizations of identified clients who need either direct or indirect case supervision from a licensed mental health counselor
Who You Are:
· Limited permit or clinical master’s level candidate; CASAC, or CASAC-T with relevant experience will be considered will be considered
· Advanced degree preferred; LMSW, LCSW, LMHC
· 2-3 years of experience with substance abuse disorders
· 1-2 years of experience working with clients with co-occurring and mental health problems
· 1-2 years of experience working in in an OASAS funded facility a plus
· Commitment to providing quality services and outcome driven performance measures.
· Excellent organizational management skills with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance clinicians, set and achieve program objectives
· Strong networking and public relations skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders, populations, and cultures.
· Action-oriented, adaptable, and innovative approach to program planning.
· Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
· Experience with AVATAR electronic health records a plus
· Bilingual Spanish preferred
At Outreach, we enjoy a strong work-life balance, excellent benefits, and ongoing professional training. Our enthusiastic employees love what they do and the positive impact they make every day.
Our employees are the reason Outreach ranks among the most respected health and human services providers in New York City and Long Island. In fact, we have been named one of the “Best Companies to Work for in New York” a total of nine times since 2010.
Communities throughout Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island turn to Outreach for a vast array of treatment and training needs. We customize our services to increase our access to a wide range of individuals and groups including Families, Justice System, Aspiring Professionals, EAPs/MAPs and Community Members. Outreach’s treatment services are licensed by the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services ( OASAS (https://oasas.ny.gov/) ) and employ best practices in line with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services’ (SAMHSA) indicators of quality treatment (https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/PEP18-TREATMENT-LOC/PEP18-TREATMENT-LOC.pdf) .
An EEO employer, we enjoy exceptional workforce retention – many of our employees have been with Outreach for 10 years or more, some starting as part-timers and now working in full-time senior management.
Adding to our outstanding benefits, some members of Outreach’s clinical and professional staff may be eligible for student loan forgiveness and repayment plans for persons working in public service, education, and health care, including the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program, Income-Driven Repayment (IDR) Plan, or the New York State Licensed Social Worker Loan Forgiveness (LSWLF) Program. Outreach’s NYC outpatient programs are also approved for the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Substance Use Disorder Loan Repayment program, for eligible clinicians.