SPIE Manager, Technical Content and Scientific Publishing in Bellingham, Washington
Manager, Technical Content and Scientific Publishing
Help drive change at SPIE.
SPIE is seeking a Manager, Technical Content and Scientific Publishing. This position is responsible for sustaining and expanding SPIE's successful and growing publishing program in optics, photonics, imaging, and related physics and engineering topics, and drives content recruitment activities across books, journals, and proceedings. The Manager, Technical Content and Scientific Publishing serves as the scientific expert within SPIE publications.
The individual in this position will interact with editors, staff, and members of the technical communities served by SPIE to identify, acquire, and develop new content for SPIE's publications and other product lines, as appropriate; manage technical review processes to ensure that submitted manuscripts meet SPIE quality expectations; and participate in the design and development of new publication models and products.
Description of duties:
- Oversee the strategic development of the publication's portfolio with a specific emphasis on books and contract proceedings.
- Responsible for identifying and acquiring new high-interest topics and qualified authors; matching topics and authors with the appropriate format for their contributions.
- Manage staff and performance of SPIE Press including author contracts, business development, budgets, and marketing/sales.
- Serve as the principal technical liaison between publications staff and volunteers.
- Utilize deep understanding of optics and photonics to provide scientific and technical leadership across all SPIE publication products.
- Network and interact with potential authors and community members through attendance at SPIE events and other relevant, technical conferences.
- Evaluate, manage, and negotiate contracts on behalf of SPIE contract proceedings.
- Ensure that submitted content meets SPIE expectations through appropriate levels of proposal and manuscript review.
- Lead research and development of new content and business opportunities and relationships with other book publishers.
- Liaise with Marketing staff to ensure effective content acquisition campaigns and adequate and appropriate promotion of SPIE Press titles, new product promotions, cross sales, and messaging.
Drive business development and acquisition activities as they relate to the publications' portfolio.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Advanced degree, PhD or MS, in the physical sciences or engineering disciplines required.
- Minimum of 2 years direct supervisory experience preferred.
- Extensive experience, 10 years or more, either in industry or academia in at least area of optics and photonics core to the mission of the Society required.
- Extensive experience in scholarly publishing as an author, editor, or publications staff.
- Experience working with individuals with advanced degrees in both domestic and international settings required.
- Experience managing teams domestically and internationally preferred.
- Understanding and previous experience in managing programs, departments, and budgets preferred.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI): SPIE recognizes that diversity and inclusion drive innovation, excellence, and new knowledge. Bringing together people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives makes us stronger and supports our mission. We offer a collaborative work environment and strive to create a culture of belonging for all our employees.
Compensation and Benefits package includes:
Competitive wages, annual discretionary bonu