Mars Digital Data Scientist & Analyst in Beijing, China
Mars Inc is in the midst of a significant Digital Transformation journey. Our ability to solve the most wicked problems across Mars in a User Centric way through Data & Analytics are fundamental to our Digital Engine and our transformation. Significant early success in this journey, and the introduction of many critical foundational capabilities means that we are looking to accelerate our ability to solve problems and ultimately drive value for Mars Inc. The opportunities are huge for Mars, and the opportunities for those working in this space are hugely exciting & rewarding. Connecting & deriving break through insight from our Petcare data ecosystem (Veterinary, Vet Hospitals, DNA Services, Telemetry, etc), Leveraging the new & rapidly growing world of external data to get closer to the customer & consumers than ever before, and unlocking efficiencies & automation in our Supply Chain and Quality operations are just some of our big focus areas at the moment.
Building on this momentum we wish to create a large number of exciting roles in this space across Mars to inject the step-change in talent and experience that we require. Across the disciplines of Data Science, Data Engineering and Business Translation we are seeking the best in the industry to join Mars and help us establish this breakthrough capability and influence how we operate in this new space.
The Data Scientist role is responsible for evangelizing the adoption of data driven decisions across Mars by leading the development of advanced analytics methods, mining vast amounts of data from company databases / data lake to provide actionable insights for solving business problems or finding opportunities for profitable growth.
You will work & collaborate with the Global Analytics, Data & AI teams, but it is expected you are solving problems in close collaboration with users from our segments & markets around the world. This also provides the opportunity to be influential in the new & emerging capabilities that Mars needs to build to be successful with plenty of room for “firsts”.
Working in a small team of experts across Data Engineering, Business Translation, Data Sciences you will partner with Product Owners and users to unlock problems and solve with advanced techniques.
Within this team, you will:
• Develop custom data models and algorithms (predictive, explanatory, A/B testing). Fully understand when it is appropriate to use the different techniques based on business need and data available.
• Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy
• Deliver keeping an optimal balance of time to deliver and level of detail/accuracy given data availability and/or imperfections
• Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes. Ensure conformance to data security standards
• Provide expertise on statistical and mathematical concepts to key stakeholders
• Leverage technology to increase efficiency and productivity throughout the entire organization and act as a subject matter expert for information platforms and analytical/technical tools.
• Knowledge of, and experience using key external third party data sources including Nielsen/ IRI/ Storeviews, Kantar, Homescan Panel, Retail Execution, Shopper card, first party data, and consumer surveys.
Context and Scope
This role will form an integral part of the Digital foundation and Analytics Open Hub
This role will deliver advanced analytics techniques, data exploitation & manipulation in
support of the delivery of advanced analytics solutions
It works with other MIS functions including Infrastructure, Development, Services & Architecture to deliver solutions that deliver business value
It interacts directly with the business in developing solutions that solve specific business challenges
Bachelor’s degree in Analytics or related quantitative fields (statistics, Operations research, mathematics, econometrics etc.). Advanced degree will be preferred
2-3 years' experience in applied data science role or equivalent; ideally in a CPG, Telecom and Financial services
Knowledge and experience in modelling techniques and advanced applied skills (e.g. significance testing, GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.) using tools like Spark, Scala, SAS, R, Python, Bayesia, H2O, Storm, Yarn, and Kafka
Experience querying databases (SQL, Hive)
Experience working with big data platforms such as Hadoop ecosystem (Azure), including inmemory solutions (SAP HANA and Apache Spark)
Working knowledge of data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI, D3, ggplot, to deliver output to the broader business community to improve decision making and productivity
Strong communication and presentation skills