Greater Baltimore Medical Center Phlebotomy Lab Assistant in Baltimore, Maryland
I. JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY :
Under direct supervision, the Phlebotomy Lab Assistant provides phlebotomy/accessioning service, utilizes appropriate equipment to collect, receive, accession/,process pathology and laboratory specimens, as well as provide laboratory information and reports to customers. Assists in the training and monitoring of co-workers, students, and other hospital staff.
6 months of related phlebotomy experience/6 months related Laboratory accessioning experience
· Knowledge of medical terminology
· Knowledge of phlebotomy techniques and practices
· Skill in oral and written communication
· Skill in utilizing customer service techniques
· Skill in performing basic arithmetic
· Skills in using a computer and personal productivity applications
· Ability to type
· Ability to reduce anxiety in patients while performing patient care related duties
· Physical requirements include fine motor coordination and good visual acuity. Frequent walking and standing up to 90% of work time. Occasional lifting required. Ability to pay close attention to detail
· Works in normal patient care environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature extremes and the like.
· Occasional (up to 20 percent of work time) exposure to patients with communicable disease.
· Exposure to disease when handling dirty needles and blood specimens
Conditions of Employment
· Additional on the job training is required to enable the Phlebotomist /Lab Assistant to perform pediatric, difficult veinpuntures, EKG's and processing of specimens.
· Meets minimum continuing education requirements.