Greater Baltimore Medical Center Medical Assistant/Patient Services Assistant-GBMA in Baltimore, Maryland
I. JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY :
Under direct supervision, assists physician in providing direct patient care and evaluation of patients in an office. Performs direct patient care such as phlebotomy, EKG, specimen collection, wound care, medication administration and vital signs. Under limited supervision, receives and screens visitors and callers. Schedules patient appointments, registers patients and participates in the processing of patient charges. Provides secretarial and clerical support, maintains supplies .
High School or GED
· 3 years' experience as a medical assistant or successful completion of GBMA externship program.
· National Certification as a Certified Medical Assistant may be substituted for years of experience req.
· 6 months of related clerical/administrative experience.
· Knowledge of medical terminology
· Skill in using techniques for phlebotomy, EKG, specimen collection, medication administration and taking vital signs
· Skill in written and oral communication
· Ability to distinguish normal from abnormal diagnostic results
· Ability to pass a medication calculation test with an 85% or better prior to hire
· Ability to perform non-complex arithmetic calculations
· Ability to organize and maintain files and records.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
· Certificate of training from a nationally recognized Medical Assistant program
· Heart saver (CPR Certification).
· National Certification as a Certified Medical Assistant preferred
· Ability to walk and stand for up to eighty percent (80%) of work time.
· Medical Office Environment. Exposure to disinfectant, detergent solutions and human specimens.
Conditions of Employment
· Ability to work in various practices, as needed.