CDM Smith Automation and Controls Specialist/Engineer in Aberdeen, South Dakota
CDM Smith is seeking a mid-level to senior Automation Engineer to help us grow our Automation services offerings in the Chicago and Midwest regions. The successful candidate will have a passion for delivering excellent client service, delivering quality technical work products on time and on budget, and will want to be part of a national team of motivated Automation professionals. As a member of the Automation team, the Automation Engineer will contribute to CDM Smith's mission by:
• Independently leading and developing solutions for Automation Engineering and SCADA projects. This role requires an individual who is experienced with Process Control Systems, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) programming, Human Machine Interface (HMI) programming, network and computer configuration, control system maintenance and troubleshooting, and experience developing control system designs.
• Leading small to medium control system studies, master plans, and designs consisting of development of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), Instrumentation and Control (I&C) system specifications, and development of control strategies supporting these designs.
• Depending on skill level, leading control strategy designs in software configuration efforts (“programming”) in order to create human-machine interface (HMI) database and graphics content, programmable logic controller (PLC) code, control system and operational reports, etc. that are typical of industrial computer control work products. Ability to lead workshops with clients to review and discuss software configuration efforts.
• Leading testing and startup team for instrumentation, controls and related systems with minimal supervision and assistance. Responsible for developing (or managing the development of) testing and startup documentation and complying with quality assurance requirements.
• Reviewing contractor’s submittals and responding to Requests for Information (RFI).
• Representing the project team for the instrumentation and control portion of a project at client and contractor meetings.
• Developing technical memoranda and preliminary engineering reports under limited supervision. Able to convey highly technical information across all levels of the organization. Able to review and critique written technical content of junior staff contributing to these types of deliverables.
• Independently developing basic to highly complex Operations & Maintenance (O&M) manuals for control systems programmed. Providing guidance and input for O&M content of I&C components in large multi-discipline projects.
• Independently developing control systems training for end users. Develops training plans suitable for all levels of client's organization.
• Acting as a mentor for junior team members and supervising the work of a few engineers who are assisting on assigned projects. Provides open and honest feedback on staff performance and assists with career development.
• Developing Levels of Effort (LOEs) estimates, budgets, and monitoring of budgets to meet project profitability targets.
• Leads the development of proposals and client presentations. Develops opportunities to expand contracts with existing clients.
• Performs other duties as required. Individual should have a desire to continue to enhance and grow their skills through involvement in at least one Professional Society associated with our Core markets.
This role can based in Chicago, IL or Detroit, MI.
Automation and Controls Specialist/Engineer
• Bachelor's degree.
• 7 years of related experience.
Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
• Experience with Water/Wastewater highly preferred
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship status, genetics, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Why CDM Smith?:
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.cdmsmith.com/en/Video/Meet-CDM-Smith)
Join Us! CDM Smith – where amazing career journeys unfold.
Imagine a place committed to offering an unmatched employee experience. Where you work on projects that are meaningful to you. Where you play an active part in shaping your career journey. Where your co-workers are invested in you and your success. Where you are encouraged and supported to do your very best and given the tools and resources to do so. Where it’s a priority that the company takes good care of you and your family.
Our employees are the heart of our company. As an employer of choice, our goal is to provide a challenging, progressive and inclusive work environment which fosters personal leadership, career growth and development for every employee. We value passionate individuals who challenge the norm, deliver world-class solutions and bring diverse perspectives. Join our team, and together we will make a difference and change the world.
Job Site Location:
Midwest United States
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No - We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Skills and Abilities:
• Expert knowledge of instrumentation, controls, and related systems.
• Design skills including P&ID development, specification writing, and control strategy development.
• PLC/HMI programming skills, computer networking, and SCADA communication experience.
• Excellent communication skills and comfortable communicating on video platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
• Excellent writing skills and able to prepare reports communicating complex technical information to a variety of audiences.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
• Familiarity with 3D and 4D CAD drafting toolset and applications.
Background Check and Drug Testing Information:
CDM Smith Inc. and its divisions and subsidiaries (hereafter collectively referred to as “CDM Smith”) reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may conduct drug testing for designated positions. Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the United States. The timing of when background checks will be conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the background check precede an interview. CDM Smith will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant's criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate. In addition, during employment individuals may be required by CDM Smith or a CDM Smith client to successfully complete additional background checks, including motor vehicle record as well as drug testing.
All bonuses at CDM Smith are discretionary and may or may not apply to this position.
Work Location Options:
Hybrid Work Options may be considered for successful candidate.
Driver's License Requirements:
An appropriate and valid driver's license is required.
- CDM Smith Jobs